Spring ski & snowboard at Gran Deco, Fukushima 2010.4.24-25

[Note: I posted a Gran Deco trip report at the beginning of the season, but the weather was so nice this time I thought it wouldn't hurt to post a few (keitai) pics.]

Headed to Gran Deco for a final spring fling with the kid the weekend of April 24 and 25. Weather was just above freezing, with a whisper of snow quickly giving way to alternating sun and clouds for the rest of the day:

Metabo%20Oyaji_86.JPG

Kid had been wanting to try snowboarding for some time, so we gave it a try. First impression: holy cow, this is nothing like skiing at all! Ok, point the board down the hill, pretend it is a fat ski, try a turn... either catch an edge and splat, or else keep building up speed until having to dump intentionally, for lack of ability to control speed. Spent the entire day alternating between landing on my butt and landing on my knees, before finally managing the boarder's snowplow. Kid did rather better, managing already by the end of the day to scrape down slopes that I had to walk down.

Ok, that was interesting. Time to retire for the night. Destination, An English Inn (listed here) in Inawashiro, a very nice place run by a very friendly couple, the Powells:

Metabo%20Oyaji_89.JPG

Edwin is an accomplished cook. They bake their own rolls:

Metabo%20Oyaji_88.JPG

The next day, the kid was hot to keep working the board. My body was too battered for another day of that, so I went back to skis on Sunday, which turned out to be a beautiful blue-sky day:

Metabo%20Oyaji_90.JPG

Metabo%20Oyaji_91.JPG

Upper Mint course:

Metabo%20Oyaji_93.JPG

Lower Mint Course. Bandai-san visible to left, Nekoma ski area in center distance:

Metabo%20Oyaji_94.JPG

Pole Bahn on Melissa course:

Metabo%20Oyaji_95.JPG

By the end of the second day, the kid was sliding down the steepest course there. I rationalized that kids learn faster than adults, and really, snowboarding is a young person's sport anyway... then spotted some 78-year-old ji-chan cruising past serenely on his board, and my humiliation was complete. I'll give the board another shot at some point, but will probably never catch up with my kid.

After working both board and ski muscles, and getting thoroughly battered on the board, went home feeling all kinds of sore, but happy with the season finale. Knees should stop throbbing by about next season, I figure.

thumbsup

Good stuff! Welcome to Snowboarding lol

I promise it hurts less the second time around wink

Doncha love kids though?! They just pick this stuff up with next to no effort at all!! slap

Thanks everybody.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
thumbsup

Good stuff! Welcome to Snowboarding lol

I promise it hurts less the second time around wink

I'll be holding you to that.

Quote:
Doncha love kids though?! They just pick this stuff up with next to no effort at all!! slap

Quite disrespectful, really, showing up their elders like that. grandpa

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
I'm a little surprised at how much snow they have there - more than here at town that's for sure.

There are some bare patches near the base area. But in general, the Ura-Bandai resorts (Nekoma and Gran Deco) seem to have notably longer seasons than the Omote-Bandai ones (Inawashiro, Listel, Alts, etc.) for some reason. Elevation? Mountain wind effects?

Originally Posted By: sanjo
An English Inn. Interesting name, I had noticed it on here before.

The owner from England perhaps?

By way of Australia, it seems. Quite engaging. We had a very nice stay there.

actually though those runs with the trees are pretty good. Thats right at the bottom, but further up its steeper. I enjoyed Gran Deco when I was there, was quiet for most of the day