• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: rach
I can't really see what being a woman has to do with it!

Does being in a mountaineering club at university mean you don't have particularly good personal hygeine or something?
confused

It means that possibly we have different ideas about hygiene. As I said I've been on trips where I have not been able to wash at all for up to 16 days. And this was whilst climbing a big mountain and getting very sweaty and having few changes of clothing over that time as well. And somewhat amazingly the world didn't end! I actually survived and was accepted back into the community!! Shocking I know.
Experiences like this may just give me a different perspective on things. Now whilst sitting in a nice air conditioned office all day and doing nothing physical I find that I can go a day or two without a shower without emitting offensive body odors. Incredible I know!
Who said it was just about smell?

Well I'm sorry but I don't understand why you would shower otherwise. What would be the point?

I really have no idea. wakaranai

With all your incredible achievements of going trekking and not washing for 16 days and subsequently being able to integreate back into society, and doing not much in an air conditioned office, perhaps the question is more -- why do you shower every other day? Why not once a week?

I really love taking a shower every day and even more a good soak in a bath.

I always smell of roses and other fresh lovely girly fragrances, so it's not about that. wink

On the subject of smelly people, sorry but people who smell simply don't know that they do.

Well I do find that after more than 2 days the body odors can become offensive hence the current every other day regime.

I have met Tibetans who lived high up on the plateau where it is cool to cold all year and extremely dry air. They had no access to much hot water other than for say cooking. They only had a full body wash once a year! lol

If there are reasons to wash other than for avoiding offensive body odor what are they? Just the simple pleasure of it? I can understand that but personally don't find bathing all that pleasurable on a regular basis. I can assure you though that after a couple of weeks in the mountains without a wash there's little more pleasurable than finally having a shower or bath.

Here's one for you Go Native.

One guy I was dating a fair while back jumped into bed naked once. I thought there was a rather disgusting smell and looked down and there on the sheets was something brown. Yes, it was the leftovers from him not exactly being thorough with the toilet paper.

Ew, yuck. Disgusting. The thought of it makes me cringe even now.

To qualify to be my boyfriend, a guy needs to have a certain level of hygeine. You would fail!

I once went 10 days in the aussie outback without showering, although in fairness we were swimming almost every day. But we only had 2 pairs of shorts and 2 t-shirts with us, I can tell ya that by the end, those shorts and t-shirts were able to stand up and walk themselves!! They were nasty, had to be thrown away. Even with swimming everyday, we were still filthy, hadn't shaved either for the 10 days, came out the bush looking like a Car full of Man-Friday's!!!!

Back in the early days of the British Empire, people didn't wash for weeks on end. They believed it to be harmful to expose your skin to the air and water, preferring instead to cover up in filthy layers of clothes. It was the so-called uncivillised Chinese that showed the Brits that daily bathing (or regular bathing) and cleaning of teeth (for which they used tea) kept the germs, diseases and bacteria at bay

Originally Posted By: charlotte

On the subject of smelly people, sorry but people who smell simply don't know that they do.

Definitely.

Before I came to Japan I worked in an office and the boss actually smelt of poo. Really. It was foul. We could never work out why - what was going on there? - but no-one said anything and everyone knew. You could hardly miss it. Walk by and catch the wind the wrong way and sometimes you would be knocked out with the smell. Can only think he simply did not know.
Originally Posted By: charlotte

To qualify to be my boyfriend, a guy needs to have a certain level of hygeine. You would fail!

So what? It aint like I'm looking for a girlfriend charlotte. Been happily married for near 10 years now. Not meeting your standards for a boyfriend is really not something I could care less about...

I know you weren't hoping I'd be your boyfriend but it was a statement that I don't meet your standards for a boyfriend. Again so what? Should we all aspire to meet the standards you set? confused

Remember too I'm from Australia and was a very active conservationist in my younger days. Aus is not a country blessed with huge amounts of rainfall and the last 15 years or so has seen drought conditions persist through much of the country with water restrictions in most major cities and in rural areas many places were even forced to truck in water. As a conservationist I took it seriously and endevoured to use as little water as possible. Changing the frequency with which I bathed was one way of saving water. I don't know too many Aussies who would do the same but hey what can I say I'm special! razz

Definitely.

Before I came to Japan I worked in an office and the boss actually smelt of poo. Really. It was foul. We could never work out why - what was going on there? - but no-one said anything and everyone knew. You could hardly miss it. Walk by and catch the wind the wrong way and sometimes you would be knocked out with the smell. Can only think he simply did not know.

Could possibly have been a poorly maintained colostomy bag - they can be shocking.

Foul odours are something I really dislike.
Having teen boys, who a) have a tendency to get smellier than normals during the hormonal rush; and B) tend to 'forget' to shower or use deodorant at times, I often carry emergency pong measures in my handbag (refresher wipes, deodorant and cologne) - nothing worse than having sit next to a putrid teenager for a period of time!

I love showers, I love baths, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE really nice luxurious smelling bath products. I often ask for these kind of consumabled for my birthday. I would seriously prefer a collection of LUSH bath products or Crabtree and Evelyn products to diamonds. Seriously.
Originally Posted By: Go Native
Changing the frequency with which I bathed was one way of saving water. I don't know too many Aussies who would do the same but hey what can I say I'm special! razz

lol
Yeah.... um....I would rather stick a bucket or three in the shower to collect the water for use on the garden or to wash the car with, or whatever.

I am not missing out on my washing.

I struggle to NOT wash my hair every morning. When I am skiing it is stupid to wash your hair in the morning, but it was a real psychological battle to NOT wash it initially (I have long hair). Changing to a post ski hair wash was difficult as I didn't feel properly clean without washing my hair.

I can recommend these... they have sorted the post school day pong that teens in school uniforms in midsummer can develop.

RexonaClinicalProtectionAnti-Perspirantd

Maybe if you have a boss, class mate or work mate who is stinking the place up a gift basket of lovely toiletries including one of these babies for their birthday might give them the idea.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

I struggle to NOT wash my hair every morning.

I only wash my hair about once a week and have rarely ever used shampoo. Normally just use the same soap I use for the rest of me. Never quite understood why you need special soaps for the hair on your head. Gets people to spend a whole lot more money I guess.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I can recommend these... they have sorted the post school day pong that teens in school uniforms in midsummer can develop.

RexonaClinicalProtectionAnti-Perspirantd

Maybe if you have a boss, class mate or work mate who is stinking the place up a gift basket of lovely toiletries including one of these babies for their birthday might give them the idea.

Someone get some for Go Native, hey? wink