I'm thinking about ski touring for distance.

I don't mind half a hour walk on snow shoes from top of the lift carrying snowboard, but I'd like to go on for a few hours and thought I'd get some skis instead of splitboards.

Does weight really become an issue? Shall I get Fritschi or Dynafit? Are wider skis for powder compatible with these bindings? Thanks for any tips.

Are you mainly interested in getting to the destination (going for a walk) or skiing the big line you just hiked.

If the former then something light will do and will be cheaper - if the latter then you will want something more beefy.

You can get fat ski brakes for most of them I think.

Jynxx, if you want ultimate lightness get the dynafit binding/boot combo. If you want something you can still use Alpine boots with I would definitely check out the fritschi freerides. They are amazing, I would own a pair if they were a bit more bomb proof. For touring and skiing steeps, stuff like that, they will be amazing and they are super light. Definitely check those out.

I'm interested to get to that place where to ski. I'd like to keep it under 2~3 hours walk the most.

I'll have a look at the fritschi freerides.

Are there some skis which are easier to walk?

Jynxx I went for a Dynafit setup because I wanted lightweight and Dynafit are all about lightweight. I also wanted downhill performance but as light as possible. I ended up getting the TLT Vertical FT 12 bindings and mounted them on the Manaslu skis (very light skis) and got the ZZero4 C-TF boots which are lightest 4 buckle boot on the market. Altogether it's one of the lightest setups you can have without compromising downhill performance hardly at all. I've been loving it in the powder this season that's for sure.

The set up GN listed is really nice. Another Ski to consider may be the Volie Insanes or Drifters. Both are also light weight they are also a bit wider. Not sure how wide you want to go. Just be sure to get them with a flat deck and not with inserts which are designed for telemark bindings.

Thanks for the tips guys. thumbsup

I bought a Salomon XWave a couple of seasons back on impulse because I tried it on and it fitted so good. For that reason I might have to go for the fritschi. Probably I should have waited and bought a Dynafit system and certainly Missus is on to that idea. I like the ZZero3 boots on their website and I'm going to have to try and see if it fits me. If it does, it's going to be a difficult decision. I'm also tempted to get this hard shell setup for snowboarding, too.

So many nice tools out there ...

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Thanks for the tips guys. thumbsup
I bought a Salomon XWave a couple of seasons back on impulse because I tried it on and it fitted so good. For that reason I might have to go for the fritschi. Probably I should have waited and bought a Dynafit system and certainly Missus is on to that idea. I like the ZZero3 boots on their website and I'm going to have to try and see if it fits me. If it does, it's going to be a difficult decision. I'm also tempted to get this hard shell setup for snowboarding, too.
So many nice tools out there ...

Honestly, it's not like you're "settling" for just a fritschi. They are awesome and really light. Not as light as an entire dynafit but damn good for getting out there. That's all that matters.

I reckon they are good, too. My in-laws have them. I think light weight is bonus, but how you can walk on it is the key. Sure, if you go the distance, more weight is going to feel like added lead on your feet, but it if it's awkward to walk on, then distance doesn't matter.

That's why I'm not sure about my current boot. I never thought about walking on them. I read about people having problems walking with splitboard setup and it seems like for those who sticks to the softboots do so with the stiffist boots. Some people go for the hard shell but try to make it flex like the stiffist of the softboots.

I am going to take my Xwave for a walk on the Fritschi. If it's good, no probs. If not, then I have to think from scratch.

I am also aware that some sections you have to take your ski off and climb. Looking forward to all of this...

• 2 weeks later...

Missus' dad got himself a new setup. He said I can use his old one (voelkl) which has Fritshi freeride on it. Sorted !

Grandma gave me her xc skies. That, I have never done. Looking forward to giving it a go biggrin