Do you pass up opportunites because things are not perfect?

Thought about this today.....

A school friend of mine called me on my mobile today. She said she was just around the corner and if I was home and it was no intrusion she would like to pop in for a cuppa and a catch up.

Picture this: House was a complete tip. After the busy weekend with a house FULL of extra kids, and working yesterday I had not taken care of anything. There was mess everywhere.

Now in the past I might have said ...ohhh sorry I am out (I was not), or some other such excuse because my house was not perfect. However I am much more 'evolved' nowadays and said "SURE! I would love to catch up, my house is a complete mess - have you had your tetanus shot?"

We had a lovely time. And now I can get on with the housework...it didn't go anywhere - it is still waiting for me!

It made me wonder how many people miss out on the good stuff because they are waiting for things to be perfect?

Do you not have friends over because the house is untidy?

Do you not go out because you don't feel dressed up enough?

I must admit thinking about the different parallell universes, IE what could should and would have happened can drive one to pure insanity.

There are many things I have done on impulse or like you said with imperfect feelings of something. However, sometimes uncertainty can bring the out the best in our experiences. I can't tell you how many times uncertainty has taken place in my life. So many times I have been sitting on top of a jump or big cliff thinking "wow I could get really hurt or even die if I mess this up" Then something that drives my side of adrenaline or stupidity let's me put all that away and just go for it. Sometimes I break my sternum and sometimes I stomp a double flip.

Another scenario is when I date girls. There have been a few girls I didn't give a chance that could have been some of the coolest. One girl I can think of now seemed like another dull dumb hot blonde, but actually turned out to be one of the coolest girls I have met after I got through the facade and got to know the real her. Spent a good couple months with that girl and had some of the greatest memories of her.

Also I can remember one time where I barely knew these two guys and we ended up just driving 12 hours to San Diego and Vegas to discover one of the best vacations I have ever had.

THat's the pleasant thing about life is taking advantage of the imperfections as positive experiences and learning from them when they don't go so well.

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Spent a good couple months with that girl and had some of the greatest memories of her.

Good to see you're not afraid of long term committment there Mitch! lol

[wants to high five Mitch]

Honestly ... if there is one thing I have learnt over the past few years - it is embrace it! Whatever it is - embrace it.

Never thought I would like a cold snowy village, until I was smack dab in the middle of one. Certainly never thought I would ride a board - if anything I thought I would ski (and badly at that) ... but I love clipping into my bindings. I was seriously apprehensive about those things too!

My challenge for 2010 is to just say YES. Hang the formalities, and getting the jobs done before the fun .... I am just going to embrace every opportunity for connection, experiences, fun, learning and social interaction that I can!

I have a friend who is 38 and still single. He's had numerous girlfriends over the years but always finds something wrong with them. He seems on what I believe will be a never ending search for the perfect girl and relationship. I think most of us who've been in long term relationships and marriages know there's no such thing as a perfect one. Sure there's good and bad ones but even the best have their ups and downs. I've attempted to make him realise this fact but he seems to still believe there's someone perfect out there for him. I suspect he'll die alone whereas I was more than happy to accept less than perfection (it's ok my wife doesn't read these forums biggrin ) and have had a wonderful long term relationship because of it.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Spent a good couple months with that girl and had some of the greatest memories of her.

Good to see you're not afraid of long term committment there Mitch! lol

I laughed out loud at that

MB thanks! Glad to see your experiences have given you rewards for sticking your neck out there (literally with snowboarding lol) I love it when people try things about skiing and snowboarding and find out they love them. There's just such an intense feeling of freedom that I don't get from anything else.

I hear you Mitch!

And GN, you are so totally correct! Too many people expecting the hollywood movie style romance 24/7 .... ummm HELLOoooooooOOoooo....

Now I think I may just have tested out the universe a tad - because no sooner did I post this thread and started doing my intense pile of housework than I got another surprise visit from a friend (and the woman I work for) - she has JUST left. HEY. UNIVERSE! How about easing me into it?!

I read some advice on a forum somewhere that in life 'you have to kiss a few frogs to find the prince' which changed my perspective a lot.

I now try stuff that doesn't sound much fun, and about 50% of the time it turns out to be worthwhile.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
My challenge for 2010 is to just say YES. Hang the formalities, and getting the jobs done before the fun .... I am just going to embrace every opportunity for connection, experiences, fun, learning and social interaction that I can!

Mid-life crisis time, is it? lol

Seriously though, I totally agree.

I commenced work at the current place about 5 years ago and can't believe how most of the staff have done nothing with their lives except school, marriage, kids, career - nada! Now that most of them are in their late 50's, they are trying new things, things I did in my 20's & 30's e.g. canyoning, back country trips, abseiling, etc.

What's more suprising is they have worked in an organisation that has paid them well, much more than where I previously worked. The people at the previous place weren't concerned with the cost, they had kids, careers, etc too but had really opened minds and attitudes and were more interested in living life to the full.

It's sad really.

When we swap experiences, they can't believe a younger bloke has done so much, yet really I've done only a modest amount of things. It's them who have done bugger all. wakaranai