Originally Posted By: RobBright
1/3 = 0.3333 with dot above right?

3/3 = 1 right?

yet 0.33 with dot above x 3 equals 0.99 with dot above.

Incorrect. Just notational problems.
we do not use 0.3333 dot above right in solving maths. We use 1/3 to avoid these issues. That's why we have a term called irrational numbers.
You asked a question and I try to answer as the best I could as a math/physics major. Like I said, I draw a line in talking coffee shop talk, especially with someone who is still peddling around with definitions and stringing words together that still sounds logical but incorrect in it's applications.
You want to talk paradox in maths? That's fine but I'm outta here...

Since we are all making perfect sense.....

My grandfather sold a horse to a guy that claimed he met a guy on a fishing trip that was related to a woman who had never left her house for her entire life but claimed her uncle was my other grandfather's accountant's neighbor's raspy breathe.

.... banner

1/3 is a finite number not an infinate number.

However when written as a decimal ie. 0.3 it is called 0.3 recurring or (repeating)

Basically the 3's will not stop repeating, they can go on forever, therefore they repeat infinitly.

Infinity can be used for something that has no end or can continue without stopping, and has no defined ending.

Remember "infinity DOES NOT actually exist", it is simply something with no ending or no finishing point! As a result infinity can not be measured or calculated, it exists only!