Mitch,

Here we go with the language differences again, In Oz, suspenders are (or at least were) worn by ladies to "suspend" their stockings so they'd not fall down. I guess the same logic can be used for bloke's trousers, but we tend to call those things, the bloke "suspenders", braces.

The term "a belt and braces man" was coined to refer to a person who would wear BOTH a belt and braces, as insurance that his trousers were secure. Has come to mean a person who always double insures.

Gave up wearing bibs a long time ago, although my old man has just returned to the use of a bib (he's lost eyesight and tends to spill some food again, now! wink )at mealtimes.

I used to have a set of "bib & brace" overalls when I worked in a steelworks here. They were company supplied but lasted me several years after I left!

Papa's new snowboard pants (bought in Tokyo) had braces - I reckon they were for fashion purposes and meant to be worn hanging down.

doh

Needless to say - being a BOF he took them off.

coolmirrors He did look awfully GANGSTA with the brace hanging down though evilgrin

Originally Posted By: thursday
it's Gangsta rollabout

Just get the dinner on.

razz Dinners done Thursday!
So is the laundry, the dishes, the kid counseling and school phone calls (arrgghhh!) AND the trip to water polo training, the kids baths...etc.

FREE TIME for Mamabear! wink
Originally Posted By: rach
Any guys here who wear suits wear braces?
The kind that connect with trousers, not the teeth kind!

Yep, have them - they beat the crap outta belts. Men who wear both a belt and braces are making a dress error - it's either one or the other, not both.

Braces worn with cuffed trousers are also better than uncuffed, as they drape well and are therefore more comfortable when walking or sitting.

Men's suspenders were used to hold up socks. The only 'person' I've seen wear them was Agent 86 Maxwell Smart on 'Get Smart'!

How the hell can you carry a mobile phone pouch (the clip to a belt type) if you ain't gotta belt? Or a pocket knife, for that matter?

Both are essential pieces of accoutrement for me on farm, and would be a pita to have in pockets.

Originally Posted By: JA
How the hell can you carry a mobile phone pouch (the clip to a belt type) if you ain't gotta belt? Or a pocket knife, for that matter?

Both are essential pieces of accoutrement for me on farm, and would be a pita to have in pockets.

In a 'man-bag', which could be left swinging in the ute when yer isn't sashaying around with the moleskins, mandatory blue RM shirt, belt 'n boots, and the akubra, eh? razz

MAN BAG!!! Get and wash out yer mouth!

Them's fer metro-sexuals, not real working folks! And, for the record, I don't wear moleskins, RM anything, nor Akubra.

however, I DO need a belt to hold the knife pouch and the mobile. Don't drive the ute around the place (2.5ha is not that big, and I can walk the whole place if I need to) and braces would not do it for me.

Dress error or not, I've seen plenty of blokes (mainly older ones) who wear both belt and braces. They consider it is added insurance in case one of the support mechanisms fails. I think that's unnecessarily pessimistic. Unless, of course, the belt has to go under the gut, and the braces are necessary to stop descending trouser syndrome.

Like this ... Now THAT's what I'd call a dress error.

beer-gut.jpg

MAN BAG!!! Get and wash out yer mouth!

Them's fer metro-sexuals, not real working folks! And, for the record, I don't wear moleskins, RM anything, nor Akubra.

however, I DO need a belt to hold the knife pouch and the mobile. Don't drive the ute around the place (2.5ha is not that big, and I can walk the whole place if I need to) and braces would not do it for me.

Dress error or not, I've seen plenty of blokes (mainly older ones) who wear both belt and braces. They consider it is added insurance in case one of the support mechanisms fails. I think that's unnecessarily pessimistic. Unless, of course, the belt has to go under the gut, and the braces are necessary to stop descending trouser syndrome.
Like this ... Now THAT's what I'd call a dress error.
beer-gut.jpg

2.5Ha? That equals a 'rural sexual' AKA Macquarie Street Farmer! lol

Those aren't braces, they're post-tensioned cables (supporting a 'slab' gut)!
Originally Posted By: SubZero

What utter crap! Which part of 400 olive trees and a contract olive oil pressing operation is "Macquarie Street"?

NFI, really, do you?
Originally Posted By: SubZero

What utter crap! Which part of 400 olive trees and a contract olive oil pressing operation is "Macquarie Street"?

NFI, really, do you?

No need to be nasty, was just kidding. My family is from the Northern Rivers - farming, cane cutting and fishing. Uncle owns land out at Emmaville, which is kinda in your area. (Sheep farming ... lotsa tin in the creeks but so far no sapphires!)

Off topic, but how's the olive oil business in Oz going at the moment. If you believe info like Landline, it's doing okay - slightly above the niche market and growing due to its quality. Quantity seems to be the problem?