It's a bit random but I'll just ask and see, has anyone here made Sake? I got given a packet of Koji spores so I have been looking into it - seems like there are a few different methods from basic to much more involved for different styles of sake.

Can anyone reccomend a method - or - is there a particular style of sake you think is better than the rest that I should try and make?

apparantly (if you believe things you read on the internet) even though homebrewing sake is illegal it is fairly widespread in Japan though the quality suffers as its harder to get proper ingredients/yeast because of its legal status.

Doburoku.

Cloudy sake- unstrained.

During the Narita Airport construction protest days, and I mean protest in Japan is helmet + towel over your mouth + long stick against riot police, there was this old guy who believed it was civil right to brew sake - part of tradition. He freely and openly distributed Doburoku he became a cult figure.

It's all in the temperature. They do it in winter, KANJIKOMI (treated in the cold).

Temp control is no trouble, I have that gear for beer brewing.

Is Doburoku good or just easy to make because you dont have to filter it?

We are lucky in NZ with respect to legality of brewing. It's not even legel in some states in the US. We are allowed to distill here too which I understand you can't do in many places.

Can customs and excise actually be bothered about home brewing when there are zillions of other more criminal elements out there for tapping.

I'd love to try some Sake brewing but there is so much equipment to procure.

In Oz most Brew Shops also carry distilling gear - it's not illegal to sell it, not illegal to own it, but it's illegal to make it! (Nice loophole that!)