OK. I had a nightmare. I admit my dreams are as real as I am awake, to a point I sometimes don't know If I am awake or dreaming. So, I had an avalanche dream and I got buried. mmm..that vid clip maybe had something to do, but now I am scared. I jump out of airplanes and balloons (with a parachute) but I'm not scared about going in. I almost drowned twice but I love swimming in the surf. Why am I scared about been buried I don't know, but usually Murphy's happens in fear situations like this so I'm extra scared. I'm getting an airbag.

Does anyone have this fear of getting buried?

Any comments? how to get over it? Should I get buried with a pipe in my mouth and have someone dig me out?

I was once caught in an avalanche in Canada and it was very scary. I wasn't totally buried but another guy in our group was and luckily we all had the right gear and dug him out in time. I too have flashes of fear about being buried whilst scoping out a great looking slope. Not such a bad thing to have though as it makes you cautious instead of just dropping into something that may well be very unstable because it looks so damned good.

Jynxx you are a completely rationale person...You should be scared of getting buried, real scared it would not be good and the THOUGHT of it is very scary. It should be very scary for everyone.

What is not very scarey at all is the likely hood of it happening, yes it can happen, but you can reduce the risks in many ways.

Just like parachuting manage the risks as best you can and you are going to be safe - things can go wrong - just be ready, dreaming about it is making you ready smile

PS For sure get someone to bury you in a managed situation, and I bet you really do not fear being buried as much as you fear the feeling of panic.

Have been going locally and seen warning signs. At the lift ticket sales counter not to go out of the piste area, and on the mountain not to go further. There has been an avalanche at this place last week (Spitzingsee). What blew me out was that I saw people going touring on their own. Who's gonna dig you out? It's like going scuba diving on your own but at a higher risk. Scary !

Thanks, Tex. " Dreaming about it is making you ready" It does motivate me to be prepared.

I don't know about the whole dreaming thing as I have never really dreamed about avalanche burial. However, I have been buried over my head and let me tell you it is a bit scary and thoughts rush through your head but if you are with good people and know their shit you will be fine throughout. I was. You will.