Fat Tax - Travellers in favour

Quote:

More than three-quarters of people believe that airlines should charge a “fat tax†according to a poll by the travel comparison website Skyscanner

Air France was last week mistakenly accused of launching a new fee for obese fliers which has re-ignited the debate over whether airlines should charge more when an extra seat is needed.

fat-tax_1568111c.jpg

The airline maintains that although it does currently have a system whereby obese passengers are given a 25 per cent discount off their second seat, new legislation next month will entitle obese customers to a full refund, provided their flight is not fully booked.

Less than a quarter of the 550 people surveyed disapproved of forcing those who can not fit into a standard airline seat to purchase a second seat, normally at a discounted rate. Others suggested that charges should be calculated on the weight of the person and baggage combined.

In April last year Ryanair said that it was considering whether to charge excess weight fees for obese fliers after more than 30,000 passengers voted in online poll in favour of such charges.

In 2008, Air France was ordered to pay £5,000 in damages to a 27-stone passenger who had his waist measured at an airport check-in desk before being told he would have to purchase two seats.

“The so called ‘Fat Tax’ is a very sensitive issue for airlines - they will have to tread carefully so as not to alienate heavier passengers,†said Barry Smith, Skyscanner co-founder and director. “On one hand, it’s not unreasonable for airlines to charge passengers extra if they occupy more than one seat. On the other, many would argue that it should be the responsibility of airlines to adjust their standard seat size, enabling them to comfortably accommodate all passengers.â€

According to the World Health Organisation the Pacific island of Nauru is currently classified as the world’s fattest country with 94.5 per cent of the population overweight. Britain is in 28th position, with nearly 64 per cent of the population considered to be overweight.

If they are not made to buy 2 seats, then have the fatties sit in their own section where they can have the pleasure of overspilling onto each other.

There would be a horendous smell though. rollabout

I think there should be a baisc cost per seat, plus an escalating unit cost on a pay per kg basis over say 90kgs, including luggage.

that way skinny people with less luggage travel for less and vice versa.

if youre fat enough to need 2 seats, then you pay the same rate, but pay 2 basic charges

Ryanair in publicity stunt shock! Sounds like a fat tax with them could cost them 64% of their business!

The real shocker is charging little kids full fare. Other forms of transport don't.

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
I think there should be a baisc cost per seat, plus an escalating unit cost on a pay per kg basis over say 90kgs, including luggage.

if youre fat enough to need 2 seats, then you pay the same rate, but pay 2 basic charges

how did you choose such a random number?

I think it should be on waist size as that's better an indicator if someone is overweight or not.

Well you have large people who are not necessarily fat - think about all those great hulking weightlifters or basketball players.

Maybe if the airlines made a section of 'larger seating' - sort of like business class but without the business class extra's that costs a bit more than economy but a bit less than business and enforce that people who can not fit into an economy seat buy a larger economy seat. I'm sure a fair few people would pay a few extra dollars for a bit more leg room, or a bit more seat room anyway.

is that a real picture...? surely not. that guy is massive.

how to the hostesses trolley down the aisles?

i wouldn't be worried about how fat that guy is, i'd be stressing about not getting my free booze

Originally Posted By: RobBright

how did you choose such a random number?

I think it should be on waist size as that's better an indicator if someone is overweight or not.

The 90kgs was semi-random.

I assumed the average traveller to be 80kgs, plus 10kg of luggage.

My suggestion was actually to reward the lightweight travellers as well, whereas your waist system only captures those who require 2 seats

But then the flight companies would be making double profits on the two sets of people.

And the whole point of this fat tax is for people who require two seats not how much they weigh. Look at the Body Mass Index. One of the most widely used indicators of obesity, yet fatally flawed when it comes to anyone with muscles mass on them.

so you're gonna weigh everyone before they get on?? good one!

I was on a flight from LA to Hawaii and there was this giant Hawaiian guy who looked like the fat guy in the picture, he was sitting in the centre row and was spilling over 3 seats, 1 whole seat and half on either side of him! The plane wasn't full so he had the entire row to himself.....thankfully!!

weighing everyone isnt an issue, they already weigh your luggage, you just jump on with it.

Not being rude,but think you are missing the point, this isn't issue about weight but about size. Whilst size is on occasion directly related to weight, in some cases it isn't.

Just because some of us decide to keep in shape, shouldn't mean that I pay more for my flight. Also, this could encourage heavy dieting just to save money on the flight. And what do you do for the people on the way back? weight them again and make them pay more?

They would make profits on it - because there would no doubt be a minium weight allowance but on maximum.

if its not about weight, why do I get charged extra whenver I go over my baggage allowance?

and if i'm a 55kg waif (which i'm not!! LOL) why should I not be allowed an extra kg or two (or 50) of luggage compared to someone who weighs in at over 100kg?

In addition, when I check in with my family of 6, my bag can go over the limit, but my youngest son usually doesnt. the airlines have added all the weights together, divided by six, and our average is below the bagga limit and we havent been charged.

they are arleady averaging, so why not do it with people and baggage?

if its not about weight, why do I get charged extra whenver I go over my baggage allowance?

and if i'm a 55kg waif (which i'm not!! LOL) why should I not be allowed an extra kg or two (or 50) of luggage compared to someone who weighs in at over 100kg?

In addition, when I check in with my family of 6, my bag can go over the limit, but my youngest son usually doesnt. the airlines have added all the weights together, divided by six, and our average is below the bagga limit and we havent been charged.

why? well one of the main reasons is worker health and safety regulations. Baggage Handlers are only allowed to carry a certain weight, so you get charged extra if you are over this threshold

Not really accurate Tubby.

Yes there are OH&S rules for baggage handlers, which is why you will see some people repacking their bags to be lighter per unit.

However the weight limit on total baggage per person is related to fuel requirements. If you take more than what the airline has budgeted for (thier pp limit) then you have to pay per kilo because they will burn more fuel. There is an buffer or tolerance amount of fuel (what if they need to divert/circle/hit bad weather) so if you are half a kilo over, or 1 kilo over for a family group then they probably wont charge you extra. But if you are significantly over - expect to be charged - not to protect the baggage handlers - but to pay for the extra fuel your gear will make the plane burn.

On some flights there is no leeway - and they may take your bags on a separate flight or tell you no. It has happened.

My sister in law is a big girl, and she had the embarrassing experience of being weighed for a flight along with her bags - the rural/mining flights often work this way. There was no extra charge imposed, but they needed to weigh everything (people, bags, sundry items) getting on the plane to work out how much fuel they needed.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

why? well one of the main reasons is worker health and safety regulations. Baggage Handlers are only allowed to carry a certain weight, so you get charged extra if you are over this threshold

but my point was that my bag was over the limit, well and truly, but son's bag wasnt, and we werent charged

I asked the guy at quantas on the phone in regards to my board bag being 28kgs and another nag being 16kgs.

He said you should be ok but it will depend on the person on the check in desk on the day.

Albeit no problems just had to repack hand luggage into 2 bags as opposed to 1 as it was too heavy.