Nozawa-onsen a great place if you don't like those big resorts.

thenoie_4.JPG

off piste, skyline

Left Shinjuku, Friday night to allow the early start Saturday-morning....good plan on paper.

Heavy snow from 20:00 onwards, made for very slow travel, the trip took just on 5 hours

It managed to snow about 70% of the weekend.

Saturday, saw the Gondoras open just over an hour late as we were told conditions were "not ideal" poor vis and grooming was taking a long time......

10:30 saw us finally 2/3rd up and with 10cm of fresh pow on the runs groomed that morning, the un-groomed runs were brutal and highly enjoyable.

thenoie_1.JPG

Schneider workout

thenoie_2.JPG

fresh tracks should only be made at speed

The Top 1/3 of the mountain remained closed until after lunch , and even then 1 run was closed all day "Yamabiko-a" (as were Mizunashi-a+b, Kurokura + Ushikubi)

Sunday saw the whole mountain open from 8:30: the closed runs from the day before were stunning things were quite quiet after lunch and people started to vacate, fresh tracks could still be found.

thenoie_3.JPG

Yamabiko view

It was snowing again when we left, at 17:00

Lineups were only experienced at the top of the mountain, but the place was empty between 12-1, a late lunch is advised if you like your space.

Lots of restaurants to chose from.

notes:

Skyline was not enjoyable in the evening rush, hit it early the second day and it was superb.

thenoie_5.JPG

Skyline rushhour

Half-pipe was closed all weekend.

Snow park was open only on the second day.

Didn't see a single patrol all weekend

Take your own soap to the onsens.

thenoie_6.JPG

Saturday morning

thenoie_7.JPG

Quiet time

• SnowJapan Admin

Hi Noie, thanks for the report looks like fun. I have moved this over to Snow Talk for now as more people will see it. Eventually will move it back to the Trip Reports section. Thank you!

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Did you do the panorama shots on your camera or some special software?

new Sony camera switch to panoramic and press the button, just pan your camera left to right and it stitches it on the camera and smooths it. i am amazed how well it worked considering i was shaking.

Noie - interesting.

Rob when you upload choose the Upload Panoramic photo. All it does it instead of the longest length being 750 pixels, it uploads it as 850 pixels. So if you have a long narrow photo, it works well.

friend

Originally Posted By: snowjunky
Good pics Noie
Whet's my appetite for my trip back there after 28 more sleeps banner

In 28 Days the snow levels will be insane...

Ill throw some more pics up when i can