rei are awesome, they have live help and you can type to a real person in real time. but ski boots wont work in those snow shoes so "cindy" sold me skins and bindings that swich between free heal and regular instead of costing $50us it cost us$420 but apparantly now I dont have to buy lift tickets.

lucky for me none of that stuff is available till next fall so the nz$850 inpulse buy was avoided.

well see next season what i get in the end

Thanks guys. Like most things to do with sporting gear, its seems to be more to do with personal pref than anything else. The reviews I've read of seem to indicate that the Atlas straps are better and there seems to be fewer stories of things breaking on the Atlas.

Weighing in at a well fed 88kg and with gear and board, probably approaching 100kg, I guess a larger size is in order, unless I can convince the wife that a new split board is required...

Snapper,

I have actually two pairs of "Wa Kannjiki". One set bought at mtn. shop made of aluminum frame ~8000 jpy, and other bought at DIY shop in Yuzawa made out of some kind of ratan wood for 2000 jpy. Alum pair is typically used by mountaineering folks and wooden pair for doing chors around house in snow areas. I personally like the wooden pair, although those are not designed for a serious or long hike, but excellent for a short hike of 10-15 min. They are very light, but you do sink, depending on your weight, substantially more than snow shoes. If the hike is short, I'd use then instead of skinning up the skis.