i had both swine and normal flu before coming to japan, every trip i have gotten sick either on the plane, from someone coughing behind me the whole flight or in the ski fields from similar... this trip i have felt great the whole time and would recommend the flu vaccines to anyone if the are susceptible (?) to getting sick.

We got Swine Flu Vaccines for the whole family before coming to Japan. On recommendation of my Doctor. My Doc is a realist - if he didn't think it was a good idea he would say so....however he also got the immunization for himself in advance of coming over to ski at Hakuba - so that was good enough for me.

No issues with side effects.

Didn't really hurt or cause achey arms.

Had no real drama's with illness - one sore throat thing doing the rounds - but hasn't been a big issue.

There WAS a young girl coughing up a lung or three seated RIGHT behind Papabear and Baby Bear on the Whiteliner ALL THE WAY to Chitose though. NOT looking forward to seeing what bug she had crop in them next week! All the polite Japanese sitting up the front with their white masks on having a little sniffle or occasional cough and this lass was just blasting her germs from A to Z!

doh

• 6 months later...

I've had swine flu - got it through the air vents when I was temping at the city council and there was an outbreak. I shared it around once I got it - pretty much my duty as a good citizen.

It was a bad flu, oh noes!

True about getting sick on planes - though I got off quite lucky when I went to Japan in high school smile (which was just after the bird flu scare - our trip was nearly canceled)