I made a post in important news of the day but I think it deserves its own thread. Really really tragic. Haiti was already the poorest country on this side of the earth. I guess the only silver lining to this (if any) is maybe now they will get some help. Too bad it has to take this many people's lives to notice.

Quote:
In the Search box, some of the biggest queries are for different ways to "text to help." For example, the Red Cross has set up a system where a cell phone user can text "Haiti" to the number 90999. The text message will result in a $10 donation to the Red Cross. So far, the campaign has been a massive hit. According to Mashable, the texting option has already raised over $800,000.

Another popular option for cell phone users eager to help: Text "Yele" to 501501. Doing so will result in a $5 donation to Yéle Haiti, a grassroots organization started by singer and Haiti native Wyclef Jean. Over the course of the day, Web searches on Wyclef and his organization have soared to record highs.
Originally Posted By: thursday
doh sorry, that would be the Haiti neighbour.

Oh, the good ole yew ess of aye! Not relevant to anywhere else then.

Terrible thing Earthquakes, and always in poorer places on earth, such a tragedy..........I hope the donation money is handled better than the Tsunami millions,Banda aceh had hundreds of millions donated and 12 months later hardly anything done, except for the hard work of local people and a few trustworthy organisations......what money???.

Huh?? have a look at the USGS site - the quakes don't always happen in "poorer" places. look here

20 years ago, the Newcastle quake. Ring any bells? Not a "poorer" location, that. California = "poor? Gimme a break!

No matter where the quake affects, the local resources aren't sufficient to cope with the magnitude of the damage. It may have taken centuries to get the place to the curent sutiation, and a single quake reduces that effort to rubble in minutes.

The relief effort must NOT attempt to return a place to a condition such that another quake will just require an equivalent effort again. Surely, the aim of relief is to allow the locals to rebuild with more quake resistant buildings than previously existed? Or have I missed something?

Excuse my grammar, i meant more often than not tragedies of this magnitude always appear to happen to "poorer"regions.

No doubt the relief effort will be massive from all corners of the globe, but in 12 months time i seriously wonder what we will see for the millions of dollars from donations that are surely on there way to Haiti as we speak. Maybe i missed something ?

definitely some charity organizations eat into the funds more than othere. I've heard of one that takes 98% in adminstrative costs. That is disgusting.

In my past donating I have trusted the Red Cross, Medicine Sans Frontier, Oxfam, Salvation Army.

Just read, that link is amazing! Seems there is little support for either of them. Thank goodness for that - some sense from leadership in the US.

Seems a pity they cannot just shut these eejits up for good. They don't do anything much for anyone but themselves.