Small scale in some places. Hochzillertal Austria has Wed & Fri 7~10 (last lift 9:30)

Haven't done it. Absolutely bushed by 4.

Like Mamabear said I try to get off a little early, or stay up a little and come down later to beat the rush.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
sent you a PM with specific's SantaCruz.
We have used NISS, NBS and NAC over the few years we have been coming to Niseko - and found them all very reputable and helpful.

The great thing I find with using a variety of instructors is they all give you something different.

hey MB I would be interested in getting my wife and sister in for a lesson, sounds like your gal is golden.... Care to share her details? What's the cost involved?

Re the nighta, unless you have tried it, you can't even begin to speculate what it's like, we rode annupuri today from 12 till 8 pm, between 5 and 7 there was around 20 cm of fresh ontop of what they groomed at 430pm and you can see real well even on the closed tree runs. EPIC
Originally Posted By: tripler
interesting what you say, Jynxx. I sometimes ponder what the perfect job for a chronic snow addict is. I'd say barman because they don't have to start work till after the lifts close, leaving them all day to do their own skiing. But in Japan if your Japanese isn't good you're probably more sure to gain employment as an instructor. Downside - you have to nursemaid crying kids all day and maybe not get to do any of your own skiing. Upside - you're a cool ski instructor who all the girls want to sleep with. It's a tough one...

Snowboard instructor isn't bad at all (in most places in the world).

I've been lucky enough to work near Vancouver, in Banff, Whistler, and a few places in Japan. Since its assumed that you are there to ride, most places overseas give you season passes (unfortunately not so in Japan, you need to wear your uniform if you want to use the lifts at some places).

But generally, you get to ride as much as you want, or work as much as you want. And average resort might work like this

You get to work at 8ish, and have the option of going up for session with the other instructors (on powder days this just means straight pow riding) and you are back for whenever the lessons start.

The lessons are announced, and whoever wants to work usually does, and its not really a problem except on powder days.

You do your lessons, try to get your students to have a safe, fun time and show them how to get better and enjoy more of the sport, and thats it.

Not bad, and not much money either. But you have the best office in the world.
Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
Not bad, and not much money either. But you have the best office in the world.

And that would be the most important point of all! Can I come nd join your office? I'll make coffee, I'll wipe your skis clean. Just so long as I don't have to pay for the trip there and back, and can get a place to sleep! wink
Originally Posted By: JA
Difficulty with nighta is the changing light angles. In daylight (even if very overcast) the light is coming from a single source point and the shadows are consistent, giving definition to the surface, even if you are running skis well below it.

At night, unless someone puts up a huge bright sun-like illuminator, the light comes at the surface from numerous points, changing the view of the surface relief. That makes it difficult to ski with anything like the same enjoyment as at daytime.

My 2yen worth.

JA I find almost the complete opposite. The often dull, diffused light we get here in Niseko during the day means few shadows on the slopes making it difficult for me to see any lumps and drops so I'm often taken unawares by them. At night though every little bump on the hill is in stark relief with distinct shadows.

On topic. Instructing can really be a great job but it does mean moving hemispheres twice a year and there's the periods in between seasons where you won't earn money. For those who love their snow sports it can be an awesome lifestyle but one that's no so easy if you settle down with a wife and start having kids. I'm a hopeless instructor, just don't have the patience (or training) but I do love guiding. I love taking people out and seeing their excitement and enjoyment at skiing real deep powder for the first time. Because I have to be sponsored to live here I can't really just rely on seasonal jobs but as soon as I get my permanent residency I know I won't be working full time 5 days week in an office through the winter months!

I took a snowboard lesson with Oyuki Kigan and he was a great instructor.

(This is coming from a certified CSIA ski instructor.)

The "problem" that I see with Japanese ski/snowboard instruction is that there is too much focus on drills. Every run you are doing a drill. In snow instruction, we try to get the student as much "mileage" as possible, which means letting them take those initial drills and then putting those newly learned skills to use.

However, for most Japanese who are studying for their "badge test", these drills are very effective in getting down the movements required to pass the test.

So, this comes down to that East vs. West discussion, as Asian countries focus much more on rote memory while American/European countries are more concerned with reason.

Regarding night skiing...Annupuri in Niseko probably has the best lighting in my experience (compared to Hirafu, Niseko Village, various in Hakuba, etc.)

Originally Posted By: Go Native
JA I find almost the complete opposite. The often dull, diffused light we get here in Niseko during the day means few shadows on the slopes making it difficult for me to see any lumps and drops so I'm often taken unawares by them. At night though every little bump on the hill is in stark relief with distinct shadows.

Maybe it's just my tired old eyes, then. But, even with "low relief" days, using yellow lenses I can see the terrain well enough. At night, the lights don't make it easy for me.

I don't have sight issues with ski. I had problems with snowboarding. Couldn't board well with goggles on, or when it's foggy. I thought about it and my conclusion is that I'm relying too much on sight when I board because of my lack of experience (and fear). I'm trying to board more from my stomach and feet now and seems to work for me.

dyna, I think that's true with most things Japanese do. Drill, form ...

When I teach, i wanna teach how fun it is. yeah, maybe people have different values

The drill form of teaching in Japan is certainly useful for passing tests but very little else. Understanding the reasoning and process of getting to an answer is in my opinion much more important than just remembering the answer. Being able to reason through things allows you to apply similar processes to situations outside of your normal experience. In my experience it's been one of the most frustrating things working with Japanese people. many find it very difficult to adapt to new processes or ways of doing things. They have to be led through a new process every step by painful step. One of the reasons I guess change happens ever so slowly in this country.

its the same way they approach English, learn the 'grammar', but ignore the tools that actually allow one to use it freely, in real-life circumstances.

But like i said, they are only trained to ride in a very narrow set of conditions, ie: perfectly groomed runs with an aggressive stance and board. Change any one of those things (as in, ride in actual conditions) and its useless.

For example, they way they are taught to carve is pretty much an alpine way, lots of rotation in the knees and a very forward-facing stance. Fine if you are on an alpine board, but not suitable at all for the majority of freestyle board riders. In fact, it puts too much pressure on the knees and is not only very uncomfortable, but not very stable either