tripler,

The Remarks (aka The Remarkables) are in New Zealand, South Island, not far from Queenstown, although the road up there is quite ordinary!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficulty with nighta is the changing light angles. In daylight (even if very overcast) the light is coming from a single source point and the shadows are consistent, giving definition to the surface, even if you are running skis well below it.

At night, unless someone puts up a huge bright sun-like illuminator, the light comes at the surface from numerous points, changing the view of the surface relief. That makes it difficult to ski with anything like the same enjoyment as at daytime.

My 2yen worth.

Well I skied through tree's in the Niseko nighta last night - and there was no problem whatsoever.

In fact - the run before was cr@p with flat and fading light - once the lights came on HALLELUJAH brother - bring on the choir!

Err, night skiing in Hirafu is fantastic, often the vis is better than the day, it's quieter and you can access a lot of stuff if you don't mind the dark.

People who haven't ski instructed think you don't get enough time to ski, but I get quite enough. I'm pretty sure I have skied more vert this season than any other gaijin in Niseko (or at least the ones that have the hirafu club extension that monitors such things).

Majority of on piste is lit - which means the tree's to the side of runs are well lit also. You are not going to go back country - but there is plenty of stuff to enjoy at a Niseko Nighta.

After doing a Nighta here - where conditions can sometimes (often be better at night) I was SO excited to do a Thredbo Night Ski.....

NEVER AGAIN.

Lucky we didn't kill ourselves - one run, icey to the max, and poorly lit. Total waste of Beer O'Clock.

Niseko Nighta is very very different.

Originally Posted By: tripler
they light up the off piste? That's cool! Got to admit the only nighta I've done is the tiny one at Happo (Hakuba). You're down in about 2 seconds.

i have just got back from night skiing at Happo...and it is very bad ( i go most nights with the kids)....From what i have heard Niseko is great for Nighta (although it must be very cold)

Sometimes yes - cold.

But I have not noticed much of a drop from the daytime temps...

Sometimes when it has been snowing and windy ALL DAY - the night time comes, the lights go on, the hard core hit the pubs and the weather clears...

just in time for some lonely clear and peaceful turns under the lights.

bestsnow

just lighting up. This is from the bottom looking up to the Ace hill plateau. The peak is out of sight because of the plateau.

thursday_111.JPG

and again when it's snowing. This is only Ace hill, King to the right of the pic is even more lit up with the Gondola run.

thursday_110.JPG

These were taken from my balcony onsen at the Hirafutei. Nice....

Don't know about nighta ..

When you have a day full of peeps then we appreciate the space that nightas give but it's hellava lot of waste of energy for a few people on the slopes. Some places nightas are good for sure, but I'd rather the resort cut back on nightas and pass the savings on to the day tickets. Wadda ya reckon?

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
You guys are keen ... and have strong legs.
Must be all the workout you get Mamabear !

lol
I wish Jynxx.
Had a full on day yesterday and had to have a day off today - admittedly on antibiotics (feeling MUCH better this evening) - and gearing up for another First Tracks tomorrow biggrin