Ideal Resort for a 2-Day Snowboarding Adventure from Tokyo?

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forums, but I am hoping that you are welcoming and would like to offer some resort advice to a Snow Japan Forums newbie.

My wife and I are traveling to Japan from the San Francisco Bay area for our honeymoon in late January and sticking around until mid February, taking 10 days in the middle to go to Thailand.

While we are in Japan, we would like to do a little side trip up to a mountain for some snowboarding. We're experienced (12+ years each) and adventurous snowboarders who love riding trees, powder (who doesn't?) and steeps, and don't mind a little hiking. We don't care much for flat terrain, parks, groomers, moguls, or having to do massive traverses.

I've done a bunch of reading about Japanese resorts, and I get that it is pretty taboo to simply duck into the trees at a resort. I'd rather not have to break the rules to have a good time, so we're looking for a place that will let you ride in the trees. I am definitely willing to pay for sanctioned guides to lead us to the good stuff if such a service is available or required

We would like to travel from Tokyo to a hill via Shinkansen and spend 2 days riding. Since we've got a pretty big window we were planning on watching the snow reports and then heading to a hill mid-week when conditions were favorable. Neither of us speak Japanese, so I guess we need to choose somewhere that won't be impossible for us to get to. Hokkaido would be great, but we have decided it is too far for us for only two days of riding.

Apres ski is also important, but good food and drink, and some sort of co-ed onsen/hot-tubbing would be enough. Hotel quality doesn't matter so much and we're fine with traditional Japanese places. Having spent enough time in Whistler we don't need the theme-park style ski village to have a good time, so that isn't a factor.

Any immediate suggestions spring to mind?

While digging around, I found Hakkoda, but my wife found it a little intimidating (I think she is too modest about her abilities). Any other places that are like this, but possibly less so? Also being a little closer and easier to get to would be a bonus.

Another question – since snowboarding isn't the focus of our trip, we don't really want to pack gear, but I don't know what the availability of rental equipment is like. I am considering bringing our outer-wear and boots and renting just boards and bindings. Is there a good place to rent equipment in Tokyo, or does it make more sense to get gear at the resorts?

Looking forward to hearing your input, and maybe we'll see you up on the hill, or in the bar!

Domo!

Derek & Gillian

SF, CA

Catch the Shinkansen Bullet Train from Tokyo to Nagano first thing in the morning, then bus from Nagano to Hakuba, you will be on snow just after lunch.

Hakuba has half a dozen different resorts, for example Happo One

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
Catch the Shinkansen Bullet Train from Tokyo to Nagano first thing in the morning, then bus from Nagano to Hakuba, you will be on snow just after lunch.

Hakuba has half a dozen different resorts, for example Happo One

I'll be heading to Hakuba for a couple of days in March, but haven't done it yet.

But ya know just last week I left my hotel at 7am, and was riding the mountain before 4pm - kids in tow. If it had been just the two of us we might have been able to bring that in by an hour. And we came all the way up to Niseko. [And the Nighta doesn't stop until 9pm so it wasn't a big effort for half an hour]

Because it is a plane then a bus rather than a shink then a bus it isn't really all that big a difference. Unless you have a car.

true, but even when you live in Japan, Niseko isn't *that* easy to get to. For us, coming from Yokohama, it's going to take around a min. of 6 hours door to door.

We leave our house at 7:30, get a bus at 7:45 to Haneda, arrives at 8:30.

Flight leaves at 9:30 and lands at 11:15, then get a transfer bus at 12 to hotel, which arrives at 2pm.

As you can see, for two days alone, that is almost half the day gone just on travel one-way. That doesn't include check-in time either and getting changed.

Think either Hakuba or Yuzawa is the better bet for the two days.

Hakuba, Yuzawa, Nozawa Onsen, Shiga kogen. All very accessible from Tokyo using the Shinkansen, all offer a large area to explore, rentals are easily available on or at the hill.

Hello, I am from the Bay Area also. Working for a major electronics company I travel quite a bit to Japan. Hakuba is definitely worth the trip. Too bad you were not going to be there January 15th. Nozawa Onsen has a Fire Festival that is unbelieveable! The snow in japan is pretty much the same as Tahoe (Maybe not quite as heavy). Happo One was definitely my favorite resort. Lots of variety and great snow (simular to Kirkwood if you were to compare it to Tahoe). Nozawa Onsen was the best town and the tree's are great (think Alpine Meadows with Apres). This year I plan on hitting Shiga Kogen for the first time and maybe Kagura. Enjoy

Yeah just to clarify, Yuzawa is a region in Niigata that has a lot of resorts. Kagura is the biggest, highest and generally gets the best snow. Its also connected to Naeba which can also be a great day out

Hey Tubby Beaver,

Do you drive up to Yuzawa? If so, what's your commute times from Fujisawa? I'm just down the coast from you and we tend to go to Hakuba a lot but a friend was just telling me that time wise it's actually quicker to go to Niigata than Nagano as the Kanetsu takes you right there. What's your take?

And just so it's not a total hijack...to the OP..take the Shinkansen to Nagano and connect to Hakuba. I pick my Tokyo buddy up at Hakuba station and he gets there in pretty good time.

Takes about 4-4.5 hrs to drive depending on road conditions. get on the Kan-Etsu and it takes you almost to the door!! The longest part is often getting through Tokyo, when you get out of Tokyo is smooth sailing. Never went to nagano by car so I don7t know how that compares.

Nagano is pretty much the same, from yokohama, go up to west tokyo, go along the chuoh expressway then after Koufu, at the junction Okaya, take the direction of Nagano.

So not the same at all really.

Yuzawa really is hard to beat in terms of getting there.

I'm a bit bored of the places round here, but thats because I have been here so long I suppose. So I enjoy going to other places more generally.

lol No thanks

Bored is perhaps the wrong word, I love living here.

What I meant was just that I really enjoy and get much more excited going to new skijo's and exploring ones I don't know as well.

I suppose going somewhere else also feels more like a 'holiday', whereas where I am I can nip out to Joetsu Kokusai or Hakkai-san and be skiing within 20 minutes. wink

I like trying out new ones, although I have prob been to Kagura a million times more than any other ski-jo......again its pure convienience and the fact the snow is often top notch helps. I'm happy I went to Shiga Kogen, I'm booked for Niseko next month and I wanna go to Nozawa Onsen and Marunuma Kogen this year for sure

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
whereas where I am I can nip out to Joetsu Kokusai or Hakkai-san and be skiing within 20 minutes. wink

slap
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I like trying out new ones, although I have prob been to Kagura a million times more than any other ski-jo......again its pure convienience and the fact the snow is often top notch helps. I'm happy I went to Shiga Kogen, I'm booked for Niseko next month and I wanna go to Nozawa Onsen and Marunuma Kogen this year for sure

did you know centre maiko is 9800 this year?
yuzawa park 9700?
muikamachi hakkaisan 10500?
naspa 9700?