Originally Posted By: Ziggy
I'm not at all sure that the input so far accurately represents conditions in NZ, esp the Sth Island.

I've only been there once, and that was in Oct. Up high where I was skiing on a glacier the snow was excellent. Certainly not thigh deep powder but I would expect earlier in the season there would be resorts with plenty of it. Not thigh deep but certainly enough to be amusing.

No one has said that NZ never gets good snow. It most certainly can and does. It's just nowhere near as consistent as here in Japan and certainly never really gets as good as can get here. It's not the sort of place I'd plan a ski trip months in advance. I'd want to just be able to head over after a big fall and I had a good idea of the weather outlook during my time there. I've done it before and would do it again but it's a long way from where I live now.

Surfinsmiley, give New Plymouth a try and see what you think. Waves are sick. Definitely got that kind of life style of surf/snow that sounds like youre after. I was born and grew up there surfing as much as I could and then spent 6 winters working on Mt Ruapehu. The weather can be crap, the mountain can erupt(which it did when I was there....twice) but it can also have great snow, season passes are cheap and terrain which is far better than any resort in Japan.

Heres a link which kind of gives you an idea of Ruapehu and snow/terrain...

Best of luck...

Originally Posted By: KRUSTY
terrain which is far better than any resort in Japan.

I'd think some of our friends down in Hakuba would argue that point!
I've skied Whakapapa and and Turoa and I wouldn't say the terrain is far better than anything I've skied here. It is an awesome mountain, pity it has no trees or any sort of cover when the weather moves in though.

I've also done Turoa and Whakapapa, and the terrain is fun but I don't know if I would say it's any better than the heavy hitters in Japan. The majority of Japanese are not that great in terms of steepness. I doubt that the steepness of Craigieburn would be challenged by any resort in Japan.

Originally Posted By: KRUSTY
Surfinsmiley, give New Plymouth a try and see what you think. Waves are sick. Definitely got that kind of life style of surf/snow that sounds like youre after. I was born and grew up there surfing as much as I could and then spent 6 winters working on Mt Ruapehu. The weather can be crap, the mountain can erupt(which it did when I was there....twice) but it can also have great snow, season passes are cheap and terrain which is far better than any resort in Japan.
Heres a link which kind of gives you an idea of Ruapehu and snow/terrain...

Best of luck...

Yes, Taranaki surf is definitely sick. I worked boats out of Port Taranaki and the surf along the coast is legendary. NZ surf definitely kicks arse over Japan. There is an Aussie guy based in Hkba who drives the Japan Sea when it's working. It's not that far.

I went the various mountains last winter season in Japan (Niseko / Shiga / Nozawa / Myoko / Naeba / Kagura ) and went to New Zealand Treble Cone and Cardrona in August. I will say Japan offers a better selection of runs and snow quality compared to New Zealand. Probably because I went to New Zealand at the later half of their season but what they consider powder (supposingly the highest amount of snowfall that season in Sept 1 2009) is not nearly on the same level as Niseko. Runs down there also tend to get icy very quick because of the strong wind. (The wind on top of Treble Cone was able to move me on flat with me just standing on the board). But I will give Treble Cone the credit for the most amazing and toughest backcountry run (Hollywood Bowl). Makes me feel like I'm riding in one of the levels in the video game SSX Tricky! It's also nice to take a break from the summer heat and jump right into winter down in the southern hemisphere!

Niseko definitely spoiled me even compared to riding in Canada. The sheer amount of fresh powder and the lightness of it makes me crave for more snowboarding trips!