Late November Papa and I headed to Hamilton Island to celebrate his big 4 - 0. It was FANTASTIC. Thought I would share some of the more memorable pic's with y'all.

Taken through the Helicopter window - a view approaching Whitehaven Beach.

HamiltonIsland024.jpg

Again through the Heli Window - the colors and swirls were just gorgeous.

HamiltonIsland030.jpg

I like this one coz it shows we really are in a Helicopter - something I never thought I would do. I have conquered a lot of my fears since I started snowboarding - heights was a biggie - but I've been on enough chairlifts now to harden up to the Heli ride.

HamiltonIsland032.jpg

This is our Heli on Whitehaven Beach. I love how deserted it is, even though there were other Helicopters and launches parked along the stretch of beach they were all spaced far enough apart as to give you the sense of being the only ones out there!

HamiltonIsland037.jpg

This picture is my favorite. It is from our last night on Hamilton Island. We had returned from snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef all day and had a dip in the beautiful beach side pool at Qualia, and nice tall Gin and Tonic...then headed up the hill to take some sunset photo's from One Tree Hill. Breathtaking.

HamiltonIsland202.jpg

I can highly recommend it to anyone wanting a warm weather getaway. Qualia was suburb, and the Whitsundays are very very picturesque.

• 1 year later...

I'd have to agree with everyone. Hamilton Island is a beautiful place, as are all the Whitsundays. It's kind of touristy, but absolutely gorgeous and so laid back.

We stayed at a mate's father's house on a cliff overlooking Whitsunday island, very la di da. I'd recommend the Hamilton Island to anyone visiting Queensland.

Hamilton Island is been evacuated today with a Category 4 cyclone to hit in 2 days time. Winds to >200kms per hour and torrential rain.

Queensland perfect one day,an absolute disaster the next, thats the tropics in summer.

The thread resurrection brought back some lovely memories of an amazing trip for me.

I sure hope they weather the cyclone without too much damage to infrastructure - it is an idyllic location.

Welcome onji wave

Lots of Perth-ites around.

We are a dedicated bunch - having to do lengthy travel for snow EVERY trip - I suppose it makes it that much sweeter and requires us to feed our addiction salivating over others ski trips when we are still here wink

• 1 year later...

Hamilton island (known as Hammo to locals) is a beautiful part of the world. I used to live in Airlie Beach, but unfortunately the monsoon season brings high heat and humidity. Winter is the best time to visit the Whitsundays. Just before I moved away we had a massive cyclone that blew the hell out of us and a tree crashed through the roof! If you do visit in summer, expect it to rain and don't swim in the ocean. Box jellyfish and irukandji can kill! Oh, and the crocodiles too!