Hey all... As some of you may know I am a member of the pin cushion club. (been a type 2 diabetic for years but started shooting insulin this year) now I can carry my sharp things in my checked luggage when I travel because it is only a 10 hr trip and I did not take any of my meds last year because I could last a week without it, but it is not a option this time.

My question to the tribe is:

How will customs deal with the meds I am carrying on me (would I need any extra paperwork ?)

mind you last year the customs dood just padded the outside of my snowboard bag and asked if there was anything bad in there. I said no and he sent me on my way

According to the customs site ;

Quantity restriction for personal use. 2 months supply and one set of administering implement.

If the content is deemed dangerous it will be banned. (ie; efedrin, psuedoefedrin, amphetamine, etc ) I saw that vicks cough syrup is a no no.

Get a note from your doctor, but we didn't have any problems what so ever with my sister's pens this year.

Also, we tend to find that between walking everywhere and the lower sugar content, that you probably wont need as much. Except for the copious amounts of beer that are available razz

baaack!!

ive never had any problems travelling with my insulin. I think the pens are common enough that most customs employees will recognise them

It is worthwhile carrying a letter from your doctor, but i've never bothered.

When you leave Australia, customs will get you to sign a declaration that its only for personal use.

i remember entering Qatar once and the customs guy challenged me after it showed up in my baggage scan. I told him it was insulin, but he didnt understand, so I tok the pen out and showed him, he still didnt understand, so I 'pretended' to inject myself into my stomach, he still didnt understand, then through frustration, he just waved me through LOL.

One tip for you!

When you are on board the plane, and after you have landed, make sure you prime the pen a few units. the changes in pressure will affect the accurate dosaging of the pen.