Hey gang,

I tried searching for a thread about this but no luck. Anyway, I finally decided to suck it up and go to Hakuba again this season (it's been about 5 years since I was last there). What's the deal with the controlled off-piste/slackcountry through the black diamond club? Just a short speech by patrol and then they let you go nuts? How many different mountains are doing this now?

hehehe, well, I just found some info tucked away on the Hakuba 47 Japanese site (no English info!) So, I know the deal for 47 at least (short lecture, 1000Â¥ etc) but do other places offer the same system. I read somewhere that Cortina has the same system but I couldn't find the info on any 'official' websites.

47 will have the black diamond program again.

The tree areas have been prepared taking out snags etc.

Cortina is another question? The DBD program has been over for a long time. There is talk of Cortina opening the trees again this season.

Other people know more about this.

Tsugaike had a dbd program but since the avalanche that killed 2 girls it has been closed. Still riding those old dbd trees rarely gets you into trouble. If you venture into the slide paths though you can catch some flak and rightly so.

Happone just doesn't have the man power to patrol anything. Pretty much anything other than the onigiri area is open to be skied. The higher avalanche gate areas should not be skied either.

Originally Posted By: rider69
47 will have the black diamond program again.
The tree areas have been prepared taking out snags etc.

Cortina is another question? The DBD program has been over for a long time. There is talk of Cortina opening the trees again this season.
Other people know more about this.

Tsugaike had a dbd program but since the avalanche that killed 2 girls it has been closed. Still riding those old dbd trees rarely gets you into trouble. If you venture into the slide paths though you can catch some flak and rightly so.

Happone just doesn't have the man power to patrol anything. Pretty much anything other than the onigiri area is open to be skied. The higher avalanche gate areas should not be skied either.

good info thumbsup

I would add that the face just to the right of the avie gates slides down to the trees/creek there and is dangerous.

That P-T teacher got those two girls killed and also got their DBD closed down at Tsugaike.

Glad to hear 47 is opening up terrain and improving things thumbsup
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
erm.....maybe I dunno. But this kind comes in giant 3 litre for 1-pound-50 bottles (well it did back in the day!!)

In my day, the cheap strong cider to get pissed on was "Merrydown". True to its name, you'd get merry, and then fall down!
Originally Posted By: thursday
S C R U M P Y

haha thats what I meant, just a typo mate!!!

Merrydown!! Yeah that was good stuff, used to give me a big red face though so steered clear if I could, especially in winter time......at a house party when the heating is on full blast, you don't wanna have a face thats ALREADY red before you get there!!