This may well be a doh question but here goes

When software on a disc comes with a "product key", would I be right in saying that the actual disc is the same for everyone - and it's just the "key" that is different?

So effectively if I had an Office 2007 disc but 5 different keys (legit of course) I could install it on 5 different computers legally with those 5 different keys?

doh

Kinda - each key is assigned a license, and depending on how that license works, is it for one pc or many, thus allows how many times you can install it to different computers.

For example, my vista ultimate has one license, so I can only install onto one pc. If you want additional licenses then you are supposed to pay for the amount you need, ie if you have 5 pcs, and only one license, then you have to pay for an extra four; however, still using the same keys.

Different keys, mean different licenses.

Right I think I get that.

But the actual disc itself is the same, right? So if my friend had exactly the same Office 2007 and my disc was damaged, lets say, I could use his disc but my key to install it on my computer. Is my understanding there correct?

Thanks!

You used to be able, but nowadays, a lot of software needs activating via the internet.

Using MAC addresses, and linking them to the original key, has quite effectively reduced the speed of piracy. However, it has also pissed off authentic users due to its inflexibility.

If you were to buy a new pc, or move house, the mac address may change, which, when you come to activate the legal software, you may be denied because of this. This would then mean lots of phone calls to sort it out and confirm you are original user.

Mac users pissed off? Wow, I didn't think that happened! wink

If you buying a new computer - and effectively disregarding the old one - the same problems happen I suppose. I'm in that process now!

I'll report how it goes.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
A mac user uses Apple Products.

A MAC address is basically a unique identifier for your PC or hardware on a network.

Ashully, a MAC address in hardwired to the specific network adapter. It consists of a portion which identifies the manufacturer and the remainder which is a serial identifier for that particular adapter.

So ... even if you change the adapter (like I updated my wifi card recently, and the MAC address changed dramatically because the card was from a different manufacturer) the MAC address matching has a pup!
Originally Posted By: pie-eater
And a Big Mac is an appetising entry on the menu of the gourmet restaurant chain, MacDonalds.

big-mac-2.jpg

You are kidding, right? Appetising? About as appetising as a plastic mac.
Originally Posted By: JA
Originally Posted By: RobBright
A mac user uses Apple Products.

A MAC address is basically a unique identifier for your PC or hardware on a network.

Ashully, a MAC address in hardwired to the specific network adapter. It consists of a portion which identifies the manufacturer and the remainder which is a serial identifier for that particular adapter.

So ... even if you change the adapter (like I updated my wifi card recently, and the MAC address changed dramatically because the card was from a different manufacturer) the MAC address matching has a pup!

Was trying to keep it simple as not to confuse people if they didn't understand the terminology.

"But the actual disc itself is the same, right? So if my friend had exactly the same Office 2007 and my disc was damaged, lets say, I could use his disc but my key to install it on my computer. Is my understanding there correct?"

Yes. There a X number of valid keys and the software can know what is a valid key or invalid one by using an algorithm. In other words, your key is not burnt onto the installation DVD and all DVDs are identical.

OK,

MS, in their wisdom, issue "fixes" for their Operating Systems and applications when they discover a flaw that has led to (or could lead to) malicious attacks.

If the Cd you used to install the software was created after a "Service Pack" - hence SP - was done, it may well have the fixes incorporated into the installation. If you try to reinstall with an older version (ie one without the fixes) you might run into trouble.

That said, however, in general you'd be right as SP don't come out that often for Office etc.

That's possible, so long as you are happy to pay someone who DOES know to fix every little thing that happens. (How I make my "side" money!)

I make some income from people who do not realise how simple it can be to install a new PC.

Vista was a godsend, the problems it could cause were numerous, and the fixes quite simple. Never had a Win7 install as yet. Waiting, waiting!