Any recommendations on snowshoes you carry? Do you carry the hardcore expensive stuff or is there a budget lightweight one that does the job?

Do you have a pack that you picked for the ease of carrying a snowboard? (If there is such a design...)

thanks for the info wink

MSR Denali ascent. There is no better snowshoe for the money which are specifically designed for the ascent. Every sohp I have visited and asked has agreed. I know I was scratching my head wondering how something so simple can be so good, sometimes simple is better.

As for a pack I would get one that carries both skis and a board, you never know when you might want to try skiing (and remeber why you snowboard) lol. Dakine has some great packs. Just make sure that the board straps are located properly so that the (your) board balances properly and it's not catching your feet when you're going up. Also make sure the straps are thich enough so that they won't wear out when rubbing on the edges of your board. Mst imprtant thing is to make sure you get yourself a good beacon, shovel and probe FIRST.

Looked up MSR Denali ascent. 190 Euros (USD280) in Germany. I'm scratching my head, too, why it's so expensive.

Love to get a splitboard. The Atomic (Austrian) is about 800 Euros (inc 20% tax) which is the cheapest all inclusive option.

My wife's parents have always offered us that we can tag along (they have like over 30 years climbing and backcountry skiing experience and finally my wife is warming up to that idea (she doesn't ski). It's going to be hard snowshoeing for 2hrs with a board on our back for sure.

We have been told "beacon, probe, shovel" friend

I use MSR Denali Classics. Most snowboarders I've come across use these or the Ascents (which add a heel lift I believe). They are super light and simple and work well with snowboard boots. And you need collapsible poles too.

I've never used a split board. I'm sure they work great, but snowshoes aren't bad.

DaKine packs are tried and true. The Burton AK packs are nice too. I've always used a pack that held the board vertically, but I've always wanted to try a pack that has a horizontal option too. It would be nice to get the weight lower.

My backpack is plain black - but color is not important to function. I tried to embed the pic but it wont work - so you will have to clickity click...

https://www.shopbags.com/getdynamicimage.aspx?path=Patrol-Ski-Pack3733.jpg

The Ogio Patrol Ski Pack includes the following features:

* Large main compartment with top loader

* Snow science tool organizer panel

* Diagonal and A-frame ski carry system

* Vertical board carry system (straps zip away)

* Internal fleece lined goggle pocket

* Avalanche probe and shovel pockets

* External shovel carry system

* Zip away double ice axe loops

* Adjustable waist strap

* Sliding sternum strap

* Dual waist strap side zipper pocket

* Neoprene hydration sleeve with internal insulated shoulder strap hose compartment

Of course - I am no hard core back country boarder - this is complete overkill for me. A gift from my hubby! However I have not only got fantastic use from it as a backpack for regular use, travel etc - I have ridden with it fully loaded and it is superb! Of course it was not loaded with ice picks and shovels - it was my 3 friends handbags, spare gloves and water bottles etc...but still - I got the effect of what it will be like when I venture out with a probe and shovel (eventually)...

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

My backpack is plain black - but color is not important to function. I tried to embed the pic but it wont work - so you will have to clickity click...

https://www.shopbags.com/getdynamicimage.aspx?path=Patrol-Ski-Pack3733.jpg

The Ogio Patrol Ski Pack includes the following features:
* Large main compartment with top loader
* Snow science tool organizer panel
* Diagonal and A-frame ski carry system
* Vertical board carry system (straps zip away)
* Internal fleece lined goggle pocket
* Avalanche probe and shovel pockets
* External shovel carry system
* Zip away double ice axe loops
* Adjustable waist strap
* Sliding sternum strap
* Dual waist strap side zipper pocket
* Neoprene hydration sleeve with internal insulated shoulder strap hose compartment

Of course - I am no hard core back country boarder - this is complete overkill for me. A gift from my hubby! However I have not only got fantastic use from it as a backpack for regular use, travel etc - I have ridden with it fully loaded and it is superb! Of course it was not loaded with ice picks and shovels - it was my 3 friends handbags, spare gloves and water bottles etc...but still - I got the effect of what it will be like when I venture out with a probe and shovel (eventually)...

lol quality MB!!!
  • 2 years later...

Any recommendations for good tents for camping in the snow? I would like to snowshoe into a secluded location and enjoy the quiet, but my current tent is not capable of keeping me warm in such conditions.

Try snowshoeing (just to see how painful it is), then try splitboarding and you will throw your snowshoes in the bin 3 seconds after you get back from your first splitboard hike.

I'm taking my Dakine HeliPro DLX. It has outer pocker for shovel blade and side attachment for the handle. Snowboard can be carried vertically or horizontally. Horizontal placement is handy for say back of snowmobile transport and also for hikes where you don't want your legs hitting the lower board (if you are short like me). At 20lts, it is more than enough space to carry all your food and drink and not too heavy for full day stuff. I believe that I may be able to mount the snowshoes vertically where the snowboard would normally be carried -I don't have snow shoes to test them out. I intend to rent snowshoes whilst in Niseko.

I suspect most snowshoes are too long to fit inside most day packs. I personally wouldn't want to be carrying anything bigger than 30lt (hinders movement).