Little Help for a Snow-Starved Canadian in Korea

I'm doing a year in Korea and I want to go to Hokkaido over my Christmas holiday. I did 90 days on snow last season in BC and I'm super excited for this trip. I've always wanted to board in Japan. Hopefully mother nature is kind to me.

I'm just hoping for some recommendations on accommodations. I was thinking about booking a bed at Niseko Annupuri Youth Hostel. Being Christmas holidays, I'm assuming that I need to book something? Do you think I'm going to be happy staying in Niseko for the week or should I be moving around a bit and trying different towns?

Thanks for any help guys.

Yes, you should definitely make a reservation for Christmas - if nothing else you'll have peace of mind that you won't arrive and find that you have nowhere to stay.

Book whatever you can afford, as long as it isn't too far from the base lift at Hirafu.

SdS

Yeah man, not only should you make a reservation, you should make it soon! Cheap places fill up fast... last year I had a really hard time finding a cheap place to stay and I was looking in October. The Annupuri Youth Hostel is ok but staying in Hirafu is much better. You won't find anything to do there after the sun goes down. Check the accommodation listing on this site. Also, google Niseko backpacker and you'll get a few more options. I think expecting to pay around 5000Y a night is not unreasonable.

When are you going? I'll be heading up there with a crew at the end of December beginning of January. We're from all over Canada so a pretty fun bunch.

Jynxx, I'm a Canadian living in Japan for quite some time now. I've been all over Japan boarding and I love it. The terrain is quite varied from resort to resort, the snow is quality and most importantly, it never gets as cold on the hill as it does in Canada.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
.... it never gets as cold on the hill as it does in Canada.

That's an interesting fun fact.

Last January when we headed to Switzerland, some good friends of ours went to Canada - they were FREEZING. Just couldn't get over the temperatures - and they have been skiing for decades all over the world, including previously in Canada.

We are yet to try Canada.
Plans are Niseko 09/10 (all booked),
USA(Colorado) 10/11 (plans to travel with another family and do Disney again for the littler kids),
and then Papa and I are heatedly debating whether it will be Niseko 11/12, or Canada 11/12.
But we plan to experience Canada at some stage...

Interesting to hear that BM. Canada is one place that Japanese would love to go for snow, it's been that 30 years ago, and I see it on web based market research it still is so (ranked within the best 10 places would love to go)

In Japan, I can see the terrain is varied from resort to resort, but would you say that you can't get variation within the resort?

How cold does it get in Canada? Is it the wind factor? More exposed? How is the piste prep like?

Hey Idream, the only busier time then those dates are during the Chinese New Year. You might end up paying a bit more but it'll be worth it.

Jynxx, it gets damn cold in Canada but it depends on where you are skiing. In Quebec, I remember it being -35 (down to -45 near the end of the day) in Feb. My beard froze into a solid block of ice under my neck warmer. Don't think it's as cold out west. The wind certainly plays a factor and can freeze exposed skin in a matter of seconds if you're not careful... I've had frost bit a few times and it's uber painful, especially on the ears (I once lost quite a bit of skin to frost bit on my ears! Tough lesson to learn!) I don't think it has much to do with being more exposed, although that will depend on where you are. On the slopes here (Japan) I usually use only my spring jacket all season otherwise I'm too hot. Piste prep ranges from superb to almost nothing depending where you are. The better known resorts out west usually do a really good job and also take care of avie control (which most resorts don't do in Japan... to my astonishment!) I'm sure that a lot of ski resorts out west are very popular for Japanese. Whistler, Banff and Lake Louise are usually the most popular places. Also, I find that there are few resorts in Japan that have really varied terrain within the resort because they tend to be pretty small. Fortunately, there are plenty of places to go here so weekend trips to different resorts usually keeps the interest!

MB, another fun fact is that lift passes are a lot more expensive in Canada than Japan... even with the exchange!

I absolutely love Canada - I lived there for awhile when I was younger and have made quite a few trips back.

My last trip was 4 years ago Stayed at Fairmount Banff Springs and then went and stayed at Fairmount Chateau Lake Louise for 5 weeks.

IT GETS REALLY REALLY COLD!!!! I remember a few instances

1) the chair lifts were closed to the risk of frostbite.

2) Forgot my goggles and thought it would be okay until the tears froze on my face and all my eyelashes froze

3) went dog sledding and it was so cold that we literally couldn't speak our lips were frozen and we sounded like idiots - Mr Snowhunter was so cold that he was answering questions 3 questions later rollabout

Yes it gets mighty cold. Sunshine village seemed more exposed and was very cold and windy a couple of days we were there but I think Lake Louise was a little more protected??

Very steep long runs for a beginner/novice.

Come on over. Keep posting on here too. Canadians have been drowned out by Brits and Aussies for a while on this site. The Aussies go on and on about surfing and the Brits go on and on about British things like The Smiths. shifty wink

Anyway, you might want to check out Hakuba too. I've been to Hokkaido a few times during early season for more reliable snow but Hakuba's got amazing terrain if you get away from the pistes (there's no steep or interesting terrian on-piste anywhere in the whole country but he mountains and snow are great).

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain

MB, another fun fact is that lift passes are a lot more expensive in Canada than Japan... even with the exchange!

Over here too Black Mountain!
Gotta love the value in Japan!!

Snowhuntress - WOW! That must have set you back a PACKET!! One of my best friends just spent a week at the Fairmont in both Lake Louise and Banff in JULY (she is not a snow girl really) - and it was freaking expensive! Can't imagine how much they are charging for winter...
Originally Posted By: Black Diamond
If you look in Higashiyama, you'll find the real deal Chritmas holiday, complete with a full on Canadian style Christmas dinner and apres dinner hottub and street hockey.

We wont be in Hokkaido until the 26th, but have 3 families of friends who will be there earlier - will pass this info on. THANKS

Not that I'm fishing for it specifically, but if anyone has a floor/corner/closet/tub in a condo, I'd pitch in cash and beer.

And, I'd advise anyone traveling to Canada NOT to go to Banff. It's beautiful, but the skiing is sub-par compared to so many other resorts in British Columbia. Too much exposed terrain and it just doesn't snow as much as resorts closer to the ocean. And Banff is cold. Most resorts in BC aren't nearly as cold. Of course, it does cater to tourists well.

THAT is Freezing ! I've never been out @-35, -45.

I think its like -15, feels like -20 the coldest I've been here.

Missus wants face shield.

We want to go there one day. Fernie sounds good. It will be an adventure for sure.

I'm glad you like Japan, and being all over. Yes, it's so different from place to place, isn't it. Zao, Happo O'ne, Oku Shiga, and plenty more ... Even the small places have some good runs and no one there.

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress

2) Forgot my goggles and thought it would be okay until the tears froze on my face and all my eyelashes froze

Haha this reminded me of a couple of times when I was at school. I used to live 10 mins from school and as a result would often be late because I'd sit around watch TV until the extreme last minute then leg it up the road. This one time, I was late going in the shower, so that by the time I got out out and dressed I was already late and had to run right out the door. My hair was still wet and by the time I ran up to school (10mins) my hair had frozen!! lol Scotland gets cold....nothing like Canada though, more like Japan up north