Originally Posted By: tripler
and what's the down side of stiff boots?

Comfort factor and walking in them.

I'd be happy having stiffer boots IF they had BOA laces so I could have them looser for the walking parts of the day. But would you really need them unless you live in the park or are competing in X games?

OK I see that you are a skier so I will give you details from that.

Expert models do have a higher back, the boots goes high on your calves. It is designed to be ridden with more front lean. (bend your knees, boy!) It will have at least 5 buckles which can be micro adjusted. The whole setup is to get it as tight as possible can without getting into the pain threshold meaning better fit. The inners will be well constructed, walm, individually foamed, cant adjusted, etc... to provide better bio-mechanics.

The cheaper boots will use the technology from the expensive models, but some models are really not worth it. ie) inner wobbles inside the boot (cheap Rossi models)

The down side - you can break your leg easily. boot acts like a lever.

Some models fit narrower feet, some models fit wider feet.

I used to own a pair of racing Lange, and I had to un-buckle every time I was on the lift and buckle it up again when I was at the top.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
..... I had to un-buckle every time I was on the lift and buckle it up again when I was at the top.

Careful doing that - we witnessed a single ski with boot still in it flying down the mountain in Niseko SOLO 2 yrs ago!!

We assume it fell off the fellow on the lift, and could only giggle about how in hell he was going to get off the lift and down again without getting frostbitten toes! But on a serious note - lucky no one was hurt by his 'freeriding' ski/boot.

Stiff boots aren't too bad to walk in and many come with a speed lace system so you can loosen them off easily for walking around etc if you want to.

You can definately feel the difference in hard and soft boots. I guess it just comes down to what you prefer and what you are used to wearing. I like a harder boot. I feel like I am wearing sneakers whith soft boots on, but they are far more comfortable.

I have neevr boarded with a true hard boot before (ski boot). That would be interesting.

Actually thinking of getting stiffer bindings for my freeride setup, I do feel the excess movement when I'm coming down fast.

We got 3 boards and two bindings so it will be good that way. Bit reluctant to get stiffer boots when my current one has broken in nicely.

See some dedicated speed/carve boarders in Europe. Very impressive. Like to try it one day.

mmm.. never heard of it so I had a look.

Not quite sure what to think of it because they are not cheap. I think it's not necessary.

Maybe adding another thing that might break ?

I have Drake Czar bindings which the sole is made out of shock absorbing material and it lifts the foot slightly higher compared to others. Snow doesn't clog either.

I'd rather spend the extra on better bindings

Well...given the discussion about boot stiffness - I wondered if you had softer boots and elevators would that = stiffer boots in edge response.

Love to have the goodies at my disposal to test and trial smile

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
What about the binding lifters/elevators?

The makers reckon they give a lot more power and control in your turns - does anyone use them?

no, only the carvers.

Freestyle boards are made to flex, and big plates under your bindings prevent that.

They are more suited to alpine. Which is suited to strictly hardpack. So if thats all you do, then try 'em out.

Ahhhh!!!!!

Thanks Oyuki kigan.

Why oh why dont they say this on the websites. I know they are trying to sell them, but pointing out the area's that they are most useful for would be good for business.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

The makers reckon they give a lot more power and control in your turns

The only time you really need that much more power and control (over a normal set-up) is if you are banging gates or really, really trying to carve hard.

Same with stiff boots. They give you more support for more aggressive riding, but also (as others have pointed out) are not forgiving when you fall, and your leg tweaks more at the knee because your ankle won't bend.

I prefer slightly softer boots myself, i din't give up skiing so i could go back to walking like Frankenstien in the cafeteria.