I hadn't heard this word until recently but it has cropped up a few times on here in different threads.

I can see definitions and stuff, but apart from a strict definition - what does it mean? and what's the nuance? what would the equivelant be in other countries?

Thank you berry machi.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bogan is an Australian expression and represents a class of our society.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogan

They might demonstrate a number of the following features:

Little interest in cultural or political issues

Quite often they are what we call blue collar workers, as opposed to white collar (salarymen).

A "Mullet" haircut.

A strong desire for Aussie built V8 cars (often a Utility or "Ute")

UteSS_L_m.jpg

Their main diet is an aussie meat pie and tomato sauce, washed down with numerous cold beers

77354-this-mullet-sporting-bogan-was-fro

Originally Posted By: thursday
a pickup aint really a car is it?

It is my son's first car and he LOVES it.
Admittedly not a hotted up tricked out Bogan ute ... but nonetheless.

From our perspective:
thumbsup It is actually owned by the business.
thumbsup It is an economical 4 cyl diesel which means if he tried to drag someone off at the lights he would stall it.
thumbsup It can only seat two people - so there is no risk of having a car full of idiot mates to distract him while he is on his P plates.
thumbsup It has already come in handy for collecting large or grotty items without messing up our much nicer cars/
thumbsup It has all the new car warranty, air bags, air con etc that makes life safer and more pleasant.

Nought wrong with a Ute!

my car seemore?

why my car isnt a bogan car, lol

its a car that is typically admired by bogans perhaps biggrin

its merely an economical runanound loaded with safety featurees which my wife uses to run kids to school, shop, and visit church on sundays...

frontleftgt-p.jpg

That's the sort of car you buy thurs when that dangly bit lower down isn't quite enough to prove your manhood. And personalised number plates....well nothing screams wanker more than that does it? stir

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau

Little interest in cultural things

I had a mate walk into an Italian pasticiaria (Strict meaning is a pastry shop, but usually focus on sweets like cannoli, biscotti, gelati etc) and ask "Do they have any meat pies?"

So while a few of us sat down and enjoying nomming on some arancini, nice coffee and sweets, he walked across the road and got a coke and pie from brumbies...

He is from Maryborough though (country town about 300km north of Brisbane)
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Is Bogan the same as Yobbo ?

For me a Yobbo is a bit more disruptive to others than a Bogan. Small distinction.
I have a very close female friend from High School that we (the school buddies) refer to as our 'Token Bogan' friend. She has the hotted up old car in mint condition that she polishes at least once a week, hasn't worn a skirt since she was 5, and loves nothing more than a car show, or oktoberfest. But she is not a Yobbo.

Hopefully the more expensive yen and downturn in the economy will help keep the Bogan's away this season. Noticed a large increase in the amount of Bogans these past couple of seasons in paticular. Not all but a lot of these groups of guys seem just interested in coming to get on the piss and causing trouble with little interest in the snow. Some of them were good to talk to when they werent pissed.

Moste seemed to really be interested in the fireworks they got at the 7-11 and setting them off inside the bar and at each other. Usual stories of running up the street showing off their Tatts, starting fights and generally being agro. Bogans/meatheads/yobbo's or whatever you want to call them is the reason why a local bar closed down for a while mid way through last season because they had enough of the trouble. Hopefully less of the clowns next season.