I have finally found what I have searched for, assumed it didnt exist and have been trying to design and possibly build build for half of the season.

Unfortunately its USD180 but I suppose its cheaper and much better than randonee bindings and better than snowshoes.

treckers

anyone used them / seen them?

you are one step closer to going freeheel...it's in your heart. it's telling you to do it. tele is in the soul. treckers won't suffice. must unlock that heel. free

those look great! I never even thought about doing it that way -arrrrgh perhaps Japan has dulled my "think outside the square" abilities. Must remedy immediately.

Hey Fatty how do you find those treckers? How would they compare to say randonee? They look good and a simple solution really. Thumbs up to the designer!

Quote:
Originally posted by jared:
telemarkers can't fly.
Meaning?

The guy who taught me to tele catches peoples eyes with the way he throws his skis around ... then they notice he's freehealing it ...

They are supposed to be great for short little jaunts off the ski hill but compared to real touring bindings it is a lot of extra weight. Also being up so high is not always an advantage.

Look on the MEC website gearswap and you may be able to pick up a pair for less than $150 Can.

If you want a touring binding with DIN go for the Fritchi Freeride. It goes up to 12. A lot more pricy but easier on the body.

Although having the trekker allows you to have only one set of skis.

Didnt find any Treckers on the MEC website but I did find a pair of Beacons for $400 canadian which seems pretty good. - shame I'm on a strict no buying anything diet till I have paid of all my debt (well some of it anyway).

All things That are friend livetoski said. If you want the preformance an Alpine binding gives you then trekkers rock. For pure touring like 3 hour 4 hour hikes they can be pretty heavy. Touring bindings wont hold up to 360 spin crashes and or rail slides. For the person just getting into touring they are perfect.

Trekkers are bit on the heavy side for me, too. And you do not want to try to adjust them in the field either. It took me close to an hour trying to adjust for my friend at a lodge. My recommendation is to have Fritchi Freeride as ILS indicated. They are much beefier than its early cousin Fritchi Diamir, and will take a lot of abuse of the back country.

Just so I can get a feel for things would you honestly take on a med/large park on a pair of randonee (sp?) bindings?

The price difference and not having my skis redrilled are leaning me toward the treckers.

All these options are considerably better than putting my seth pistols on my bag and snowshoeing id rather have the weight on my feet than my back. (though considerably more expensive once you add skins to the equasion)

Then its decided, I'll take 'em.

Now all I need to do is pay of some debt so I'm allowed to make some purchaces and find some seccond hand or on sale.

the painfull part about being married is doubling the cost of everything. the good bit is having someone to use the gear with.

DO you think they will be any cheaper in Canada - I have friends going home on vacation (toronto) in July and they offered to pick up any stuff for us?

The Toronto MEC Store doesnt carry much BC gear. They carry stuff you just have to find out what.

Second You need skins. Trekkers are nothing without skins. Add another 100 to 150 for a pair of good skins.

wether or not randonee will hold up in the park is definitely suspect. however, i've seen them land plenty big and hairy stuff in the likes of jackson and alta so i know they hold. especially the new freeride with the higher din. however, tele will also hold up to all that an more....tele's can definitely fly. not to mention they are proving themselves in the park. last summer they were showing some force on the hood. they'll do anything you want them to do. not to mention get you in and out of the b/c with less produced sweat.

all you need to do is get yourself some new bindings and a pair of boots. take your old boards, fill the holes and then re drill. presto you are free heel.

gosh darn, i'm going to convert this whole wurld.

The Freeride was developed for just that purpose. The bindings can be adjusted very easily with a screw driver to different height levels to acomadate downhill and backcountry boots.

You are correct though in that they would probably not hold up in the park very long but I would never slide rails with my good skis anyways. I have seen to many people rip edges out.

As for MEC everything is on the website and shipping within Canada is very cheap if not free insome cases.

Look on the Gearswap page every so often for good deals. I picked up my touring bindings for $40

though i've never personally put them through that kind of rigor i doubt that the freerides would fail. i would warrant a bet that they would hold up better than a pair of markers...which i find to be the worlds easiest binding to pop out of. considering that the freerides have such a high din setting i don't think there is much of a chance of them ejecting you. you should shoot them an e-mail and incquire about their findings. or....

you can go tele cuz there ain't no heel to pop out of. (my daily tele plug). clap.gif

So Steeno mate (and other teles), what is so great about tele that you cant do on skis, apart from walking uphill on? Ive got a gammy knee and looking at the teles Ive seen on the slopes, although it looks super cool it does look like youd need a lot more leg and knee control. Eg lunges hurt me so is tele like lunging down the slope (as you can tell I know nothing). And cross country sucks so why would I want to do more of it?! Just wondering.

And what made you get into tele in the first place. Im guessing you were a skier first.

One weak spot of Freeride is that heel locking is done by a piece of plastic like its cousin Diamir. I have seen it happen. I would suggest to bring some kind of repair kit (bail wire, tie strap, etc..)along.

I figure these skis I have now will turn into my touring skis in a year or 2. I will stick with the trekers even though they take 5 minutes more to get on and going. I have been looking at touring binding but the looks I have now are rock solid off the big jumps now.

to answer your question zwelgen...

yes, tele turn is incredible tough on your legs. more specifically your quads. it can burn like hell and can be absolutely humiliating physically. however, once you get over that initial burn it's a pretty cool feeling. i've had knee problems in the past and have not had any issues so far.

why did i switch? i've skied for about 27 years and got burnt out. i tried snowboarding but just couldn't get hooked. then all my buddies who were alpiners were switching to this funky new style. then it got to a point where i couldn't follow them off piste. when i realized that i could still do everything i did on alpines with tele i made the switch and have not looked back since.

why tele? there are many reasons. you can get face shots in six inches of powder. you can have an orgasm in 2 feet. all you have to carry with you is a transceiver, shovel, and skins and the entire mountain is yours. the boots are flexible and damn comfortable. i patrolled on hood and since alot of my time was on and off skis this made a HUGE difference at the end of the day. the same holds true to hiking back up the pipe and watching. chicks dig it. it made the entire mountain a learning ground all over again...this was a really cool effect. i got so used to every nook and cranny at my local resort that it got boring. when i started to learn how to tele blues were difficult again and i got to see the place from a new perspective. you never ever have to post hole out of the flats. traverses are even easier and faster. you can grab your tips and stretch on the lifts.

But the single greatest reason to tele is that...when you have figured out how to do it and your screaming down the perfect back bowl at mach 10, drop the back knee, arch a little, and lay it out into one of the most exhilarating super g turns. it's very much like surfing...it's an amazing "flow" sensation that hits every nerve in your body. it's a very natural feeling and one that i did not feel on fixed heels.

and oh yeah, chicks dig it.

one last thing, the equipment today is so advanced compared to what it was 3-4 years ago that switching from alpine is easy. i ride nothing but alpine boards (volkl G41's), and use a race tele boot and binding. if i need to alpine or really power my way off or out of something i can.