I'm not too keen on long tunnels under the sea or big mountains and the idea of the Channel Tunnel never was a good one for me.... feeling of claustrophobia - give me a ferry any day.

I would quickly go a bit mad if this happened:

Quote:
Hundreds of holidaymakers were stuck in the Channel Tunnel for six hours in sweltering heat when their train broke down.

The lights went out, the air conditioning stopped and temperatures began to rise towards 30c (86f) after the train's power failed.

Around 500 passengers, including dozens of families, were trapped.

Some began to panic, one diabetic woman fainted, some had asthma attacks and several children passed out.

A sealed metal carriage door had to be prised open to allow cool air in, bottled water ran out and the toilets stopped working.

Passengers also said they were left uninformed about what was being done to get them out.

That would freak me out too. Always glad to come out of a long tunnel. After the big earthquake here a number of years back, it took me ages before I'd drive thorough a tunnel. And when I did I was finding myself slow down before the tunnel to let other people go through and then race through myself at top speed!

That would freak me out too! I had never felt claustrophobic until I caught a train through the Seikan Tunnel between Aomori and Hokkaido. About 10-minutes in, I started to get some mean anxiety going.

I can be a bit claustrophobic at times, but not too bad, and I cope well.

While on the girls trip this past week we were recalling our best 'war stories' whilst completely smashed and one friend recalled the day she almost drowned in rapids in Africa when thier craft overturned in a level 5 rapid, and then drifted to level 6 rapids. She was stuck underneath, however after freeing herself it go worse being sucked under and dragged along the rapids. Obviously she lived to tell the tale, but I found myself feeling quite panicky just with her descriptions - I would NOT like to be in that situation.

Funny you mention that Jynxx I did think about that the entire time I was underground shopping. I kept thinking about the weight of the buildings above and the roads and traffic etc. I felt very uneasy. Especially with the thought of an earthquake.

I'm no McIver but I will confess that I think about survival a lot.

Urban - consider masks/respirator for toxic fumes by fire, Even took my BASE rig when staying at highrise hotels.

What's really scary is - people's panic.