OK the plans are set for my Hokkaido Tour 2010. I am avoiding Rusutsu and Niseko completely and heading off to some very different areas.

My Trip

Sunday 21 Feb

Travel to Osaka from Sydney via Gold Coast on Jetstar Star Class. Stay that night at Hotel Nikko Kansai Airport.

Monday 22 Feb

Fly to Sapporo then pick up the Rav 4 I have hired and drive to Furano, I am staying at Tsuru Apartments for five nights.

Saturday 27 Feb

Head to Sounkyo to stay at Hotel Taisetsu for three nights, this is where they have the frozen water falls and ice displays and the small ski resort of Kurodake.

Tuesday 2 March

Travel to Abashiri staying three nights at Hotel Abashirikoso, here we will snowmobile ride on a frozen lake, take the ship to see the frozen ocean and drift ice and play at the local ski slopes.

Friday 5 March

Travel South again stopping overnight at Kushiro staying at the Prince Hotel

Saturday 6 march

Travel to Sahoro Resort staying at the Resort Hotel, we stop here for three nights

Tuesday 9 March

Drive to Tomamu resort staying for four nights at the Tomamu Towers Hotel.

Saturday 13 March

Head back to Chitose for the flight back to Osaka then back to Sydney arriving on Sunday morning.

In all there is a fair amount of driving this trip but we love this, you get to stop at locations and see things you would never see otherwise. While we will ski a lot thats only half the reason for this trip, we want to get away from the main Aussie Tourist areas like we did in 2007 and experience the real Japan.

I certainly will, actually I did some smaller resorts in 2008 including Moiawa and Niseko Iowana, we found a few hills with a single lift and stopped for a few hours, I even did Kat Skiing neat Kutchan and went to a resort near Otaru. It is a lot of fun, Niseko is fine, Rusutsu is better but been there done that.

can i help with the bags .

we are going up in mid january and thinking of hiring a vehicle , been looking at toocoo travel but cannot see or get a price on the rav 4 ? any ideas yourself ? we are flying into asahikawa .

in furano do not miss out on a day trip to kamui .

if going down town at night from kitanomine try bbq yamadori[food] then onto robata [ bar ] .

Hope there's still some sea ice for you when you get to Abashiri. Global warming hasn't been kind to the ice up that way. It's been starting a lot later and ending a lot earlier in recent years.

First week of March should be fine. It all depends on weather systems at the time. It is just drift ice and if there is a strong southerly then it can all be pushed north too far to make it worth it for the ferries. If there's some decent northerlies you should be fine.

• 2 months later...

Hi all

My friends and I are going to try a few more different resorts again this year. I assume the "Tokaichi" mentioned above was meant to be "Tokachi"?

Are there any resorts in Tokachi? (the snowjapan search gave no results) or is it all backcountry touring? Is Sahoro considered part of Tokahi?

thanks

edit: I've looked at this again, perhaps I'm confusing volcanic Mount Tokachi (in Daisetsuzan) with the town Tokachi?