Help Please

I am a Japanese Snow Virgin

Iam after info in regards to a snow trip from the 23rd Dec to Jan 1st Accom in Family adjoining rooms, Food, Drink, Ski costs, Hire, Snow conditions, Etc.

Nagano seems easier to get to but Club Med Saporo seems all inclusive.

My wife and kids have never seen snow but I would like some decent runs.

Just really need help

Sean

Virgins are fun as long as they don't expect someone else to tell them everything.

You are comparing "Nagano" (a prefecture) with "Club Med Sahoro" (with a p) which is a resort.

You really need to sit down and have a read to get some basics down I would say.

As well as these here forums, there's some places on here to start:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/start-here.html

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/general/winter-sports-in-japan-introduction.html

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hotel/index.html

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/index.html

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/voice/review.php

Good luck. wave

Welcome Seemore wave - I agree with Ski - get yourself a drink or few and sit down and just surf the snowjapan site. Check Places to Stay - Daily Reports Archives - Surf the Forums. Nearly everything you will need to now is on this web site.

We all have our favourite places in Japan but one thing is for sure once you have been once you will be addicted.

Cheers Ski

Didn't understand the "prefecture" and "p" but will check out the links.

The question really is do you need to go up North or is the Nagano region OK at that time of year?

Yoghurt!

seemore ski was pointing out that Nagano is not a resort but a prefecture which is like a state in Aus. Within Nagano there are a lot of ski resorts. And it is Sahoro not Saporo.

For first timers to Japan I would suggest Niseko. Great resort with awesome snow and pretty much everything can be organised in english.

Ha ha

Thursday's response will either be

1) Not worth it. Go to Niseko. Niseko is the ONLY place worth going to

OR

2) Go there. I want to keep the stashes at Niseko to myself.

Hardly impartial. lol

Friends of mine booked for Club Med Sahoro this Feb. He is a long time and experienced boarder, and she has never seen snow. So he has plans to take his lady friend and teach her in a low stress uncrowded environment. He is not fussed if he doesnt get to make some hard core turns himself - this is a trip about teaching her and spending couple time (mind you he just got back from a boys trip where he ripped it up).

Concerns I have had about Club Med - kids under 12 traditionally have not been allowed to snowboard (not sure if this has changed or not) - this would be an issue for my sideways sliders. Also another friends raise questions about the variety of terrain available - I dont know about this never having been there or really checked it out - for me the big red STOP appeared at kids under 12 having to ski not board.

Niseko - I love it. This will be my 3rd trip. It has been excellent and loved by friends we have travelled with ranging from Newbies (me!) to advanced skiers and boarders. Kids from 7 - 18. Everyone loved it. As far as terrain - a choice of whatever you wanna ride across Higashiama, Hanazono AND Hirafu all on the one lift pass and interconnected.

There are lots of special places on Honshu (Honshu is the island that Tokyo/Nagano/Hakuba are on, as opposed to Hokkaido which is where you find Sapporo, Club Med Sahoro and Niseko) - but I have no experience there so others will have to give you the heads up there.

Yes I know I have embedded this video before - a couple of times - but for our Virgin friend from Ocean Reef...I think it is worth doing again. dance

seemore, are you booked on the 22nd Dec Qantas flight Perth to Tokyo, arriving 23rd?

Originally Posted By: seemore
Thanks Go Native
Maybe I got confused with the beer
Do you have any recommendations of places to stay in Niseko.
Seemore

A great place to start looking at property options is here on the SJ site.

Places to Stay - Niseko

The main village where most of the restaurants and good accomm are found is Hirafu.

Hi Mamabear

Thanks for the Vid and great photos from previous trip on different forum.

I haven't booked yet but was looking at the 23rd although if flights are available with Singapore don't have a problem going on 22nd as if we go North we may need another day.

Where do you stay as I am having no luck with the Clubmed website and both girls want to board 9 & 12 wife is unsure she has never even seen snow.

Seemore

happy to help where I can.

Off to PINK tonight - leaving soon - so will get more info up for you tomorrow after the kids play rugby.

In my expereince you will need to contact the accomodation suppliers to find out if there is a vacancy on your dates, as there are no a lot of websites that can tell you there is a vacancy and how much instantly (althought there is one...will try and find it)

Why I ask about the QF flight is THAT is the one we are booked on. 22nd ex Perth

Arrive Tokyo 23rd

depart Tokyo for Sapporo 26th

Arrive Niseko afternoon of 26th Dec.

Will be a blast/.

First time I had seen snow was Niseko too, your wife will love it.

OK both times I stayed previously we stayed in the Gondola Chalets - they are right up the top of the village, last accomodation before the lift/gondola. Suited us at the time. Can be pricey, and often book out FAST.

We are staying somewhere new this time around - one of the nice Hokkaido Tracks Apartments - but my menfolk have stayed at a Lodge that was further out (Snowgums) and my adult son is booked into a further out lodge (North Field) for Feb. So we dont have one place specifically to recommend to you.

The service you will get in Niseko is brilliant - so work out your budget and start contacting the places on the list (see the link above "Places to Stay - Niseko"). A W style is western style - probably more like what you are after. J-style is Japanese Style and could entail your ladywife sleeping on tatami and futons. Maybe not the best choice for a firsttimer.

Get something booked, because they are booking out fast - believe me!!

You will need flights to Japan (Tokyo/Osaka or direct to Sapporo if you are lucky) and a flight up to Sapporo (most likely from Haneda Airport (Tokyo) at this stage).

Then a booking on bus to Niseko - your accomodation provider can give you more info on this - but there are a few companies and regular buses.

Accomodation

The rest you can take care of when you get there - lift passes, lessons, ski or board hire.

Good LUCK!

Originally Posted By: seemore
Hi Thursday
It seems that Sahoro is significantly further away in regards to time and money.
Or do you think it is worth it?
Seemore

Most resorts up north are a mecca for people chasing that unique deep Hokkaido powder. This might not be rellevent to you as it's your first snow trip, so you may want to weigh up if the extra cost of getting there is worth it. It's generally colder up there too.
There are some great resorts up there with plenty of tame groomed runs, but the question is do you really NEED to be going up there.

Whatever your choice. You will have a ball. thumbsup

Seemore,

check out this weekends Saturday paper - page 13 of the West travel section.

There are all inclusive packages to Niseko on offer, everything is done for you, and quite frankly the prices are very reasonable.

Inclusions:

return airfare on Qantas/JAL to Chitose (Sapporo)

Shuttle from airport to Niseko and back

choice of 7 or 10 nights accomodation

and 6 or 9 day lift pass

They are Jan 23 - March 31st, not sure why they start then....but might be worth giving them a call. For a firsttimer it is an easy introduction - then you can tailor make your return trips.

Hi Mamabear

Hey thanks for all the info that is excellent

Yeah I saw the ad for Harvey World Travel I am going to theire film night to check it out.

I will let you know if helpful or ask your advice again

Seemore

Hi Seemore I am an ex Sandgropper myself, moved to NSW ten years ago for work and to be close to the snow of course.

I am making my fourth trip to Japan next year and while I am kinda over Niseko as I am heading out to other areas, it is an excellent introduction to Japan, niseko is easy to get around from, there is great bus services to the town of Kutchan from the welcom centre each evening andthere are taxi's and free shuttle bus between the various resort towns.

Most people stay in Hirafu but you may want to stay close to the lifts because what the maps don't show is its built on a hill and walking with ski gear is not to easy, there is a free shuttle but at peak times this can be crowded.

We stayed in an aapartment half way between Hirafu and Higashiyama in a very quiet area and had a hire vehicle so getting to the lifts was easy as well as driving over to Moiawa and Rusutsu. Mind you were were there for three weeks each trip.

Eating out is easy at Niseko, if you can get to Annupuri there is a great Bar-B-Que place where you cook your meal from a huge range available on a plate set into your table, its much better than the one in Hirafu. There is also a brilliant Chinese in Kutchan and of course Japanese food to die for all over.

I have been there in late December and conditions are pretty good, Hokkaido is a bit more reliable for early season skiing.

Have a great holiday.

Hi Ski Bum

Yes I have always said we need mountain range 3 hours norteast and Perth would be alltime.

Thanks for the advice mate.

Hope you enjoy wherever you go this season.

Seemore

Im pissed that the GFC meant that the Perth Snow Park didnt get off the ground!!

Hey I KNow it is fake stuff, but heck...I look at it as a treadmill at the gym vs running through the park .... or as the rowing machine vs going for a paddle on the river.

Excellent exercise and skill development to keep the fitness up for the annual (or multiple annual) ski trip(s). I would have bought an annual pass the day it opened!

The Perth Snow Park was a great concept, some years back a friend of mine and I did a feasability study into converting an 11 storey car park in the midle of Perth into a ski slope, unfortunatly every model we used came to the same conclusion, we would make more money leaving it as a car park.