Hi guys,

I'm getting married October 31st this year, and while we were going to go to Thailand for the Honeymoon, living in Brisbane we figure we can do the tropical trip anytime and maybe something out of the ordinary would be better. So with flight sales at the moment, I was thinking a Japan trip could be the go. I haven't been to Japan before (since I was 11 anyway) so I was wondering if anyone had any advice about where to go?

I've snowboarded before but my fiance hasn't skied ever, but we're not looking for a fullblown ski holiday, somewhere with good scenery, relaxing, good bars & restaurants etc is key, with the occasional bit of boarding/skiing here and there almost as an afterthought. We do want somewhere that will have some snow though.

I'm not keen on delaying the honeymoon too far after the wedding which is October 31st. So maybe leave around the 3rd, spend the first week doing some siteseeing down south and then heading to hokkaido for the second week.

So some questions (in next post)

Hi Wabo wave

and congratulations!

Thats a wide spec you have there, especially as you don't need hardcore stuff. So much choice, I'd basically pick somewhere you like the look of in general or somewhere that has other stuff nearby and go from there.

But I just noticed the date there which is going to be a problem. Ski resorts don't general get open until December, though there are exceptions..... (click on the red Daily Reports button near the top of this page and check out some reports from past seasons to get an idea of when popular places open).

friend

a) Is it feasible to go early November and still have at least some snow? I don't mind if its mostly snowmaking. Would any snow just get washed away by rain at that time? I could delay the honeymoon slightly if need be but not too keen on it.

B) Where would be a suitable resort for relaxing and scenery with a bit of boarding here and there? Looking at the info page for places with snow early to mid november, I've built up a list of the following although I don't know anything about them (they are in order of ranking I think):

niseko grand hirafu, kutchan-cho hokkaido

naeba, yuzawa-machi, niigata

sapporo teine, sapporo, hokkaido

kiroro snowworld, akaigawa, hokkaido

megahira onsen megahira, yoshiwa-mura, hiroshima (hmm, honeymoon in hiroshima?)

sapporo kokusai, sapporo, hokkaido

daisetsuzan kurodake, kamikawacho, hokkaido

snow town yeti, susono, shizuoka - does this open earliest of all resorts? Opened last year later october I think? Why the bad rating tho?

c) Would you recommend this as a good idea in general or should I just pick another country and drop the snow thing? Just that we've done fiji and live in queensland and she's never been ski-ing. Warm fireplace, snow outside, etc etc...

d) finances - want value for money but prepared to spend a bit

If you guys could give me any advice I'd really appreciate it!!!

Wabo - snowmaking is not big in Japan. They dont generally need it. I think there is a resort or two on Honshu that has a snowmaker or three to get an early start to the season, but I am not the one to give advice about that - there are others who know better.

I'm on my way out for the weekend now but on the subject of why the low rating for yeti? Well, it's a small place and known basically for opening early with artificial snow. That's about it. I wouldn't be coming from overseas for it, that's for sure!

Snowmaking is expensive and places are cutting back (see Naeba). I imagine one or two places might be doing the same this coming winter, perhaps not Yeti though as that's it's big thing.

I'm afraid early November is just not the time to come here for snow. If you look quite a lot of resorts in the last few years have been struggling to be open for Christmas...

Hmm thanks for your help guys. Keep in mind anywhere with one or two lifts open, some light snow here and there is fine. Could easily come mid to late november, or bite the bullet and delay it longer, but with work commitments it needs to be before xmas and cant be next year.

I wouldn't be coming here in November expecting snow. Early December is a little risky as to what conditions to expect, I wouldn't really come anytime before mid to late December at the earliest. You'll be spending a lot of money and you'd want to get value.

After some consideration and your comments we've decided to go to the pacific islands for the honeymoon and do a proper japan ski trip around feb 2011. November will be awesome in the south pacific. As long as I get to swim up to the bar I'm happy! Sweet as.

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated. Hope you get a good season this year and carve it up for me.

• 3 weeks later...