Hi all, I'm looking to get a lightweight AT setup for my ski mountaineering trip next year. Dynafit seems to be making the lightest gear out there but I'm struggling to find anywhere up north that stock them. Does anyone know of a ski store in Tokyo that stock Dynafit? I'd really like to try on the boots before buying them...

Not too familiar with AT gear, but is it the TLT (?) / TNT (?) you're looking for? The guy at my local ski/mountaineering shop said he had trouble stocking it as well. The shop is in Toyama but perhaps some bigger shops in Tokyo/Osaka would have it. May be worth looking into getting it shipped from overseas though.

Actually after the bindings as well and skis if I can find em. Looking for the TLT bindings. I've done some research and looks like I can get boots, skis and bindings for a total weight of approx 3.8kg. When skinning up a big mountain such a lightweight setup will be most welcome!

I've looked online of course but seems very hard to find anything in stock even from major US retailers.

I would always call if possible about stock. There have been a few times I ordered something that they claimed was in stock online but once it was ordered they came back saying that it would take some time to get. Very annoying when that happens. OK if you're not in a rush or a patient type of course. wink

I had some Dynafit boots - thumbsup

I'd like to be able to get the gear before next winter and assume that as the winter approaches they will get more stock in. mina2 if you're able to point me in the right direction for a store that stocks Dynafit that would be most appreciated.

I'm normally a telemark skier but it's near impossible to find tele gear that is as lightweight and can handle some big mountain skiing.

Thanks!

Sorry don't know Go Native. I got mine quite a while back from a local shop in Colorado, can't remember the name of the place. Will take a look and if I can find it and jog my memory will let you know.

I'll be sure to keep my eyes and ears open in this neck of the woods and see if any gear turns up. Will let you know if it does.

If all else fails, I'd go with the tele. I've given my stuff quite a bit of abuse and haven't had any major problems. Of course, it is a little on the heavy side.

I do love to tele and have been doing so for over 20 years but as I'm now approaching 40 the knees are really starting to feel it. Been considering moving to AT for a bit now.

A friend took me to an AT shop in Tokyo years ago. Not sure if they have Dynafit, but they definitely had some AT boots.

The shop in Tokyo is called Calafate and its in Mejiro next to/downstairs from the Patagonia shop. Come out of Mejiro station, turn left go about 200m to a set of lights and turn left and its up that street. (Remembering this took a bit of effort and also a google search!).

It took some trouble finding the weblink so I will post it here. Apologies to SJ if I am not supposed to do that. Just remove it.

http://www.calafate.co.jp/

• SnowJapan Admin

[it's ok. In general please feel free to email/contact us any time to ask us if you are unsure about something - won't bite honest]

friend

Any luck with the gear search GN?

I've found a few places on the net that claim to have dynafit TLT in stock, but none in Hokkaido. The places are scattered around Honshu. If you want, I'll PM you with the shops. There's a couple of places I may ask at next time I stop in, but these would be in Toyama or Matsumoto.

Might have better luck up north as the ski season approaches.