Some people I know, including a company, have this habit of sending out mails/newsletters with all of the email addresses it is being sent to in the CC box -- so basically everyone can see the complete list of other people it is being sent to.

Not really acceptable that, is it? (Is it?)

No - I do not think that is acceptable at all.

I also think it is a common courtesy to delete the emails of other people before forwarding on jokes that do the rounds. I get annoyed when I see a mass list of peoples emails on those forwarded jokes.

When I had a little online business back in 2003 I did some email marketing just using yahoo mail, and I got blasted by many of my customers for doing the CC thing.

I found you can just use BCC and it will hide the addresses but it looks weird to the recipient as they are not in the TO field.

Best solution is to use an ASP like Vertical Response or Constant Contact, dead cheap and easy to use.

I have used a mass email to promote the local Olive Oil Show. I kept the emails public (ie in the CC field) as a prompt for recipients to see who the competition might be and encourage them to enter ahead of the others.

Personally, though, I agree with Mamabear (yet again!!) and remove all the previous addresses, as well as the multiple antivirus scan notes and other crap footers (emoticon adverts especially give me the irrits) before sending the joke email on.

Leaving that crap there does 2 things ... it shows you are too lazy to consider other people's privacy, and it makes the email bigger and bigger each time, clogging the interwebby thing that sends these emails along. If they are too big, they might bust the web!

I had one from a membership thing. I replied to everyone on the list with

"oh look I can spamm all these emails".

I got a prompt apology from the originator and they said something lame like their email system was fixed now.

LOL...Thursday...that reminds me about the time I was having a BIG ISSUE with my email control.

I happened to be having a big deep and meaningful conversation with one of my closest friends about my hubby being a big meany at the time - she was being a very good friend - giving all sorts of comfort and advice and actually helping me get over his attitude (rather than as some girlfriends will do and inflame the situation).

Well I had just sent her an email saying I think it was all going to be OK - stuff was settling down and I got a real horrid email from the man himself - so I forwarded it to her with some snippy comment and some 'God give me strength to endure this man' type comment.

ONLY I REPLIED to him not FORWARD to her.

It did not go down well.

And then *I* was the one having to apologise!!

Contrite I was too.