Were I to go on a skiing trip, which island would be preferable? I've read that Hokkaido is better, though Honshu offers more choices. Nagano is, of course, supposed to be a great resort town, but I'd lean more toward Furano. I've never been to Japan, though, so I don't know from firsthand experience.

Well they are both good. How about that? What are you most interested in? Do you want to get a good tast of Japanese culture and lifestyle and be a little close to the cities? If so Honshuu might be the island for you. If you spent some time in Nagano you can ride in Hakuba, Nozawa/Shiga area, Myoko/Arai area all pretty easily. If you are going strictly for the powder then you may want to consider just focusing on Hokkaido, or more specifically Niseko. I am sure you ca find a ton of other info on this site.

So where in Seattle are you? Some weather lately eh? What brings you to this forum?

Remember - Nagano isn't a resort town in itself. It's a prefecture and the main city is called Nagano. The nearest skiing is 45 mins away, with the main resort towns you mention maybe 1-1.5 hrs from the city.

Quote:
Originally posted by enderzero:
Do you want to get a good taste of Japanese culture and lifestyle and be a little close to the cities? So where in Seattle are you? Some weather lately eh? What brings you to this forum?
Yes, a good taste of Japanese culture is what I'm looking for on my first trip, which will hopefully be next year sometime. So I'm more likely to travel to Honshu, though I'd rather not do the Tokyo/Yokohama thing, as I'm not fond of sprawling, overcrowded cities. Something a bit slower-paced, more relaxed. I'll be studying Japanese this whole year, as I'd like to speak it and understand it decently when I arrive. I've had many close Japanese friends and know enough of the language and culture to get by, but not as much as I'd like.

I haven't skied in years, and I've hit pretty much every place in Washington state at least 2-3 times (Mt. Baker is my favorite), so I'd love to experience the skiing somewhere else, preferrably while on an extended stay.

I live on the eastside, just north of Renton. I was just perusing some Japan-based forums, including some travel-specific ones (not necessarily snowsports-based), and this one looked friendly and interesting.

Snowise it depends what you're after-it's all good though I've yet to make it to Hokkaido in person. Culture wise I wouldn't worry too much as Japan is more-or-less incredibly Japanese. Unless you're in some parts of Tokyo or certain bars in other cities you'll have plenty of Japanese people/culture around you and few foreigners-it isn't something you have to hunt for. Have fun and good luck with the Nihongo.

• 2 weeks later...

It is far easier and cheaper to get to Hokkaido for me.

I like ski resorts in Honsyu, too. But I don't want to drive for 3 hours or more. Shinkansen is not as cheap as airplane.

I usually compare which is easier and cheaper. Hokkaido always win!

Demo... I'd love to explore Honsyu ski resorts this winter.

I think lots of people might disagree with you there, slow.

Hokkaido while great, is a major hassle for many. Getting to airport, waiting time, flying, waiting time, getting to wherever in Hokkaido (itself a couple of hours in many cases).

Whatever. If you can get there easy thats great!