If a resort closes mid-morning or mid-day....

due to winds or bad weather, whatever, do the people out there get some sort of money back or discount cards? Whats the policy are resorts here on that kind of thing?

I tend to go on days with fine weather so have never experienced anything like that. I remember this season though I remember Naeba had to close for some reason (power cut) mid-morning and I think they gave people a one-day ticket or a refund for that day. Sorry can't remember the details, not much use sorry!

Originally Posted By: meat
due to winds or bad weather, whatever, do the people out there get some sort of money back or discount cards? Whats the policy are resorts here on that kind of thing?

bascially no. The line is that "the resort is still open only the lifts are closed"
Originally Posted By: stemik
...bascially no. The line is that "the resort is still open only the lifts are closed"

That is a really funny way of putting it when in reality a lift pass is just for the lift use - so if the lifts are closed... confused

However, having said that - apart from a 'snow guarentee' that some Aussie holiday bookings carry, I have never seen compensation/refund or discount for closures due to weather events. It is one of the gambles we take in engaging in snow sports. To get snow you need clouds and precip, often that comes with storms and wind - so ya gotta take the good with the bad.

The snow guarentee that some Aussie places offer is pretty limited too - basically it is only covering the event of no snow, and gives people who have paid full price for thier holidays in advance the chance to cancel if there is no snow - it is a good tool for getting people to book in the very low cusp times where conditions could be awesome or they could be totally bare.

But if the wind picks up you move to another area less wind effected, or if all the lifts are closed you head to the bar!

ok but on the other hand...the resort must still pay lift staff, patrol, restaurant staff.

Sometimes the resort does open for a little while when the wind or storm dies down.

Oh...I agree Stemik. I just thought the wording was funny.

A lot of the longer term passes - which we tend to buy, are for example 12 days used in a 14 day period - so if the resort is closed for a couple of days during your trip due to a ripsnorter system moving through - then you are not losing anything anyway.

The moral of the story is make hay while the sun shines smile

Well, the only bad weather the lifts are going to stop is when its windy as hell...

It doesn't stop when it rains....

I have read on the web page of accomodation that has 1/2 price money back if it rains over so many hours that day...