Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Quote:
average 10.7 nights/person

Wow. For this area I bet the average is below 1!

That's why the foreign market is so lucrative and important to Niseko.

Aussie Example:

Flight cost Perth to Canberra $600 return.

Flight cost Perth to Sapporo $2400 return.

(obviously both are variable).

So if someone is going to invest that much more money into getting there they are gonna stay longer. Especially when prices once there are a bit cheaper...the longer you stay the better the value.

We did the math Jan before last, and we broke even on a comparible trip to Thredbo after 7 days - but the exchange rate was much better then.

I mean NOTHING can compare to the powder experience and the atmosphere, but if a foreign visitor feels like they are getting great value for money the longer they stay - they stay longer smile

mmm.. living in WA is like living in a different country.

So living in Sydney or Canberra does have its advantages when it comes to snow.

If I were to pay an extra $600 on air, then the option to go NZ which means Heli. Now that is attractive!

I'm still surprised with the Aussie love of Niseko. I know a few Japanese people who really likes ski and bought units in Queenstown when real estate was a bit cheaper..

Day tickets are really expensive in Oz and Nz now..

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Quote:
average 10.7 nights/person

Wow. For this area I bet the average is below 1!

That report was done in 2006 using 2004 data. A bit of a change since then I reckon. Upwards for both places.
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
I'm still surprised with the Aussie love of Niseko. I know a few Japanese people who really likes ski and bought units in Queenstown when real estate was a bit cheaper..

Niseko gets snow quality that Aus and NZ can only ever dream about. That's why people love it so much.

Australia has good years .... and I thought NZ was really good !

Sure, Niseko consistently has good snow.. but for me it has to be the run, too, and no crowd. When we are lucky to be at the right time, YES !!!

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
red and yellow.......lavender??
isn't that a contradiction in terms? Isn't lavender coloured.....lavender? confused

The picture is pretty cool though

You traditionalist

009_std.jpg
  • 2 weeks later...