My son is moving to Japan next month and I am going to visit in the winter. He will be in Nagano and so will be going skiing while he is there. I am 67 and never skied in my life but wondering whether to give it a shot or not. I'm in fairly good shape, but no experience at winter sports and no equipment.

Worth giving it a go just for a few days?

cool.gif

Wally mate absolutely! you are never too old to begin. There a famous old guy here in his 100th year who skiis on a daily basis, so you a just a whippersnapper.

Take your time, take it easy on the groomed stuff, take a lesson from an English speaker and enjoy. If I see you I will give you a wave wave.gif

Yes Wally. Yes yes yes.

Give it a go, my parents still think they are "too old" I've tried to convince them otherwise. They REALLY don't know what they're missing.

Good luck.

No, Wally, you should not. Think of the shame you will cause your poor son! My old man is always trying to get in on the fun, it is a disgrace at his age.

Only joking mate, have a ball on the snow when you are here. \:\)

You might want to consider what size boot you need before rolling up at ski rentals only to be let down by the mini-sized selection.

cheers

Yes, Wally. Don't miss the chance!

Positive thinking daddy is cool! ;\)

You can rent ski equipment at hotel or ski resort. Some place, you can enjoy cross-country ski, too. Take your time and enjoy feeling of snow!! \:\)

I've often been surprised at the large sizes they have in rental places in Japan - even though they don't have the same sizes in shops. So that may not be a concern, unless you have a size over Japanese 32 (UK 12 or thereabouts).

I've never tried skiing though I've heard that for a complete beginner it takes quite a while to get competent (skiers, kreck me if I'm wrong). Whereas complete beginners can get competent at boarding after 2-3 days out.

Ocean, I reckon the opposite might be more correct. Basic, gentle slope kind of skiing is a lot easier to pick up than boarding, particularly if the person has never done either. If only because the beginner skier has the use of poles and can make better use of the feet to maintain balance. That said, I saw an advertisement the other day for a training pole for beginner snowboarders. Looked a like canoe paddle and totally impractical. Simply bizarre.

Wally, seriously, were you honestly expecting an objective answer to your question on a website like this? No disrespect intended, but taking up a sport like skiing or boarding, but particularly skiing, with the stress it places on joints, should only be done at your age after careful consideration and perhaps consultation with a doctor. After that, knock-yourself-out!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, perhaps I should knock myself out then!

Of course, I'm not planning to do crazy jumps and tricks or try out the steep slopes and become a pro skier or anything like that. The idea is to just enjoy some gentle slopes and have some fun while I can have that chance.

Thanks for your responses people. I might see you on the hills in Japan early next year!

Try not to go during the Holiday period (last week of December-first week of January). There can be quite a lot of people at that time.

If you want to try, I recommend you try it out back home first...take some class at local resort and learn the basic. IMO, when you are there you want to enjoy the experience rather than worrying about falling down.