http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/library/ClimateChangePresentandFuture.pdf

Just read this paper put out by the Japan Met service, about global warming. A lot of it is particular to Japan and makes for an interesting read. Main points:

- Weather is getting more extreme.

- Trees are changing colour later and cherry blossoms are blooming earlier: winter has definitely become shorter in Japan over the last 50 years.

- If temperatures keep rising as predicted, Tohoku (and I am going to assume the rest of Honshu) will reportedly get less snow and more rain, whilst Hokkaido will get more snow.

Looks like the Hakuba vs. Niseko debate will be slightly more clear cut for our grandchildren.

I'm more interested in the more immediate affects of the phase shifts in the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) and the Artic Oscillation (AO). These are having effects now and if the last few seasons are anything to go by Hokkaido isn't getting any snowier at all. There's huge amounts of scientific literature out there about how these affect the US and Europe but I'm struggling to find much on the effect here in east Asia. I'm sure there'd be some papers in Japanese but I'm not able to search for or read these...

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Very interesting indeed...

Time shall tell I suppose.

Time has told, and is continuing to tell us the same general thing: the earth is gradually warming.

On the ridiculously short timespan of the last century, temps have risen in most places, and from what i can gather, snowfall has dropped.

When i was in Vancouver riding the lift with old-tiers, they used to tell of ice-skating on the pond in Stanley Park, which hardly freezes at all now.

in Japan, older people talk about ice-skating on rice paddies, in places that are generallt too warm now.

In Fukushima prefecture, there are old two-story houses with exits to the outside on the second floor, because in the winter there would be so much snow that thats the only way they could get out. Now those areas might get a meter if they ae lucky.

Eve in my own short life, i've seen the snow level drop at my local hill, Kimberly in BC, Canada. I have no doubt that the weather is getting increasingly erratic and unpredictable, compared to the last 100 years or so

The global economic slowdown is probably good for global warming. Less energy output from nations like China.

The workers can go back to farming. That's lucky. If you are a sarary man in Japan and your parents were too, there's nothing to go back to.

I see it as a good thing when manufacturing goes down and food production goes up, but as long as it is kept organic and doesn't increase fertilizer production or large scale involving machines. We should all grow our own food. Go back to horses... Why support a financial system that doesn't work and rely on fossil fuel.

Originally Posted By: abe

- If temperatures keep rising as predicted, Tohoku (and I am going to assume the rest of Honshu) will reportedly get less snow and more rain, whilst Hokkaido will get more snow.

That definitely felt correct yesterday here in Nozawa Onsen. After a season in Hokaido, I found myself baking in the sun on the top quads at 9 degrees and sticking to slushy snow with a layer of Siberian dust on it! Intesting ride down involved charting a course through last year's sweet potatoes and ollying over sun baked mouldy lettuce.

Fantastic town and hill though. And still a big base up top.