Snowboarding question... after today at Sudelfeld

It dumped a bit in Muenchen yesterday so we went boarding today to Sudelfeld. The place is 1550~800m and except for a couple of chairs it's all T-bar! No big deal for skiers, and another reason I thought about getting a splitboard. Anyways, heaps of untracked snow potential since most traffic is along the lift. Well, it was one of those one thing leads to another sort of day, and get there a bit late. Bummer it was really chewed up. I think everyone was there for that reason. The thing is.. it was really heavy snow and lots of it. The place doesn't seem to get glooming and it was bumpy. Moguls made of heavy snow + old harder ones + filled with heavy snow. It was like getting tripped or popping over and no telling which one it was going to be. Not like the light fluffy stuff you can blow through. Got a little of the untracked but that was difficult, too. I wasn't very confident today. Lot's of bending knee is it hurts a bit. Actually, reminded me of snow in honshu where it's not so good. Also thought snowboarding is difficult in heavy snow compared to ski but that's just me not being experienced with it. So.. any tips to take on the heavy snow and roughened conditions?

cheers

after my very first snowboarding holiday, my knees hurt for ages afterwards.

Once theyd got better, I started doing a lot more lateral leg raises at the gym to build the strength of the outside/inside of my knees. i also starting doing leg presses with my feet in a similar stance to what I use on a board (and with my knees pinting out more).

Ive boarded twice since then and havent experienced the same pains

Good call on the leg presses! I've been doing the same for a few seasons now and its a miracle worker (that and riding my bicycle 20kms a day!!) I find that isometric exercise is actually better for boarding then going crazy on weights.

Yeah, definitely want to strengthen those knees. You guys use Nautilus (machines) or weights on the shoulder for leg presses? Thanks for reminding me about the laterals! I'm on the bike at home cos it's slippery outside.

We ripped the carpet out from one of the rooms and pitting in a 2x2 tatami, also pads to kick at and looks like I am going to be the moving target.

Still, I still don't know about the heavy snow situation. when I hit the rough bit whether on or off piste, I get tripped forward and nearly get a face plant. I can't wok out when to put my weight on my front leg and I don't know how much to learn back because I feel I get flipped back when I pop over the bump....Is it about the timing of shifting weight or is there an optimum point of balance you can keep?