Let me open this by saying I'm not a highly experienced boarder, and this was my first trip to Japan. the observations are made relative to my experiences at Thredbo.

I was only there for a limited time, so tended to stay local rather than exploring around too much. the snow on the ground was around 60cm at the bottom so, whilst not as good as Japan's reputation, was still good relative to Thredbo.

i was also unfortunate enough to only experience about 3cms of snow the whole time i was there, so by the end of every day, the runds were getting quite 'grey' and worn.

the electronic tickets worked really well and i could use them at over half a dozen different areas in the region.

i was quite surprised how quiet the resort was, but I suspect it was more to do witht he economy than anything else.

Being so quiet was fantastic, allowed me to practice a few new things without bothering others, and without looking too much like a fool in front of too many people!!

i stayed in a hotel called Hotel De Laile, with a twin room costing 15000Y per night, including breakfast. I was not disappointed with it, but relative to my normal accomodation expectations in thredbo, it was very basic and small (the bathroom was a plastic cell, and when utilising the toilet, your knees would touch the opposite wall!!). Based on the price, and the 3 star rating, i would recommend it to others. The staff (owners?) were also very friendly and a had a good command of english language.

The hotel offered onsens, a rental shop, restuarant, wireless internet (in the lounge area) and was located only 70m from the chair lift. the beds were also quite comfortable (no lumps or saggy bits!)

the restaurant served only Japanese dinners which were very tasty and reasonably priced (eg 1000Y for Tempura).

it also provided both Japanese and Western breakfast (included in the room price). The "western" breafast had me wondering though, with healthy servings of frankfurt, corn salad, lettuce, potato salad etc wakaranai methinks that perhaps the chef was not quite sure what a western breakfat really entailed.

the infrastructure around Happo-One was quite limited, but not disappointing. If you broke a leg or something and you werent able to use the snow, then you would get bored quite quickly.

Would i go there again?

On my own, yes, i focussed on the boarding and not the infrastructure and i was only there for a short time.

Would my wife go? well, yes to Hakuba, but i suspect she would want a higher standard or hotel.

Regards

Gareth

Glad to hear you liked it even with such minimal snow. It should be better if you come again! There are lots of options in Hakuba actually. I was there just a week earlier and ended up skiing at one of the smaller places (well, smaller than 47 and Happo anyway) and was pleasantly surprised. Actually, extatically surprised. I think the wind blew all of the snow off the other mountains into this one little south-facing forest that we were skiing.

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau

the infrastructure around Happo-One was quite limited, but not disappointing. If you broke a leg or something and you werent able to use the snow, then you would get bored quite quickly.

Thanks for this report Gareth.

The reason why the infrastructure in Hakuba is limited - is down to the domestic market, that only comes to the ski fields one or two nights.
They come to ski only. (well thats what the marketing gurus at Hakuba think!)
In recent times the town is trying to develop apres ski and things to do in on off days, besides the tours, there is now a "cutural house" where you can enjoy making soba, wearing kimono...etc...

But was is sadly lacking is a movie theatre, swimming pool, ice skating....

My comment wasnt so much a criticism, but an observation. I recognise that infrastructure costs a lot of risky money and is sometimes hard to justify, but if a town is relying more on tourist income, it needs to invest in that infrastructure.

My wife likes to wander around the shops, galleries etc in Thredbo/Jindabyne, and over the last few years we have spent multiple thousands $$$ on pictures, clothing etc, which is all good revenue into the local economy.

you got a scary wife gareth razz pardon!

but I can understand that.. my girl and I want to try all the local yummy things and buy craft.

I don't think they will be spending money considering the current economy. Happo-one is one of these old resorts that's been around since the Bamboo stocks and spring loaded bindings and leather mountain boots. That was my set up when I was 3. It was a big deal to climb up that mountain. Skiers were mountain climbers. They had no idea what it was going to be like in 50 years.

Ive seen some old black and white footage of when some ski resorts were just starting out. Looking at what we have today, its kinda funny looking at what they had to put up with. I have a lot of respect for these pioneers who kicked off what we have now. But its all relative, and in another 20-50 years (provided we still have snow!!!) I wonder what we'll be doing on the mountains

Enjoyed your report Gareth.

I am still getting around to mine on Zermatt (blush) - the laptop with all the pics on it is still not fixed!

Shame you didn't get a heap of the famed powder for your trip, as that is the big drawcard for me about Japan - but as you say even on a bad year/week/day then snow is good compared to what we have in Aus most of the time.

I agree with you about the infrastructure and while this economy is prolly not the time for big spending on ski infrastructure that would be a massive drawcard for Japan ski area's if the infrastructure was upgraded. I know a number of people who holiday in the thredbo's, Zermatt's and Whistlers simply because the other half does not ski or board and wants to hit the resturants, day spa's, shops, and the like. Not much for the non skier to do in Japan resorts as a general rule.

Having said that - "I love Japan". X

Originally Posted By: stemik

OK, I know I'm a gaijin, but I travel 6 hours by car and 9 hours by plane to get to Osaka, then extra travel to get to the snow (whether Hokkaido or Honshu doesn't matter) and the last thing I want to be doing while there is going to the movies (I couldn't understand the dialogue in any case - I take an iPod with ripped DVDs on it to connect to the TV in the room, instead - English dialogue!!) or having a swim.

I am there for skiing, and if the skiing is not wonderful, I would rather have a look around the local(ish) shops and cultural sites (I have visited numerous temples and shopping arcades on my 4 trips to the land of wonderful pow!) than swim, watch a movie I can't understand or go skating on an ice rink.

Japan has Bilingual broadcast for movies since '80. You gotta hit a button on the remote- I'm not good with remotes or hitting the right buttons lol

I'm not too hot on skating either.. but curling might be interesting..

Like most of the TVs in the accom that ain't ridiculous $ a night!

We had remotes in SOME of the hotels we stayed in, but the majority were colour, at least, and that's about it!

Bet they were scummy dirty too.

I wouldn't touch one of them after closely looking at one in one place a few years back somewhere in Hakuba.

It was moving I think, so much wildlife growing on it.

Originally Posted By: JA

I am there for skiing, and if the skiing is not wonderful, I would rather have a look around the local(ish) shops and cultural sites (I have visited numerous temples and shopping arcades on my 4 trips to the land of wonderful pow!) than swim, watch a movie I can't understand or go skating on an ice rink.

I understand you there, but if you are with kids - there is only so many temples or shops you can do.

Most foreign movies shown here in the theatre are in english with japanese subtitles. I think the ice rink really goes with the winter resort theme, especially if outdoor

I understand you there, but if you are with kids - there is only so many temples or shops you can do.

Most foreign movies shown here in the theatre are in english with japanese subtitles. I think the ice rink really goes with the winter resort theme, especially if outdoor

totally agree with you Stemik. I'm surprised that Jakuba hasn't done this, even Yokohama has an outdoor one just now down at the Aka Renga in Minato Mirai

Kids?? WTF? None of them, thank goodness - all mine are well able to look after themselves AND in various places like UK, Germany and US. Not my problem!

You know what - different guests are after different things, but a resort that can offer multiple types of things is going to attract multiple types of people for a multitude of reasons....and the whole aim is to attract tourists/local holidaymakers who will spend coin.

Skating Rink: There were two in Zermatt and we were keen to give it a go - however due to the nature of the place as a year round town they were almost always being used for Hockey Practice or games, and never seemed to be running playtime sessions for n00bs. We eventually got to do the open air skating rink thing in Germany and the kids loved it. They had these bears that unsteady skaters could use to push around the rink a bit like a zimmer frame for n00b skaters - perfect! Session charges and Skate hire was separate costs, and in a ski village something like this can be done after a morning on the snow, on a poor visibility day, or just for a change.

Movies: mmmmm...had one of them in Zermatt - not really something I could see being highly patronaged. But hows about a Movie Wall (like Secca has) in a bar and theming the nights - Run a girls night while screening "Sex in the City" and serving Cosmopolitans, and for the bloke and Arnie movie and Discount Beers...I dunno - gives a point of difference.

Tobogganing: Now this we tried in Zermatt and LOVED - a full ski run, nicely groomed to ride the sled down - it was an epic ride, and Papa nearly resnapped the ACL repair - THAT would be fun. Again there are charges attached, and that brings revenue for the area. People have already bought thier lift tix - a sled only groomed run alongside a ski run just adds more value.

Swimming Pool: I can see the value - especially if it is in a centre that offers spa's, massage and other complimentary therapies. Injuries can sometimes be managed real well with a day off, a swim, a massage, a soak...

Having these facilities also provides things for NON skiers to do - and that brings you more people. The skiing partner who goes anyway will bring thier other half, and the kids....and the skiing partner who is heading to OTHER ski resorts who do offer these extra's (due to thier partners needs) might just plan a trip to J-Land.

I see the benefits. The more of these things that are added over the years - the better I reckon! But if you are there for the POW and that is all - it is still there! ;-)