Tokimeki Kokutai - snow headaches in Niigata

In 2 weeks time the Tokimeki Kokutai national sports competition is due to start in various places in Niigata prefecture (mostly in Yuzawa and Tokamachi + others). There's an article in the local Niigata newspaper today about the issues they are facing right now due to the low amount of snow calling the situation 'girigiri' (borderline).

There are some interesting numbers in the piece.

The average snow depth in Yuzawa officially is 141cm on this date.

But this year on the same date the snow depth is 66cm, so quite a bit less than half of the average.

In Joetsu (Takada) the average is 96cm.

Right now there is 0cm.

The cross country course in Tokamachi has 50cm, half of the required (?) depth, with the finish point in the stadium with just 30cm at the moment.

The forecast snowfall from now until the end of February is apparently "less than average". ( grandpa ) and so they are all having emergency meetings about what to do and bringing in snow in trucks as much as they can from other areas.

sadface

Quote:
The average snow depth in Yuzawa officially is 141cm on this date. But this year on the same date the snow depth is 66cm, so quite a bit less than half of the average.

I'm surprised at those numbers actually. I'd have thought the first one higher and the second one lower somehow.

My friend just came back from Tokamachi (he works for the city office there). Apparently, they have 300 trucks on the go now moving snow from the mountains to the right place to try and get a cross country course going. Yikes.

Someone just called round with a flyer asking for volunteers to move snow in time for the event. It said on the flyer that my neighbourhood usually in early February has 4m of snow and this year it is 60cm.

I'm going to go out and help on Wednesday