Advice?- group of aussies to ski/board at Hokkaido

Hi,

We are in the process of planning our trip to Hokkaido and would appreciate some advice/opinions.

There are 6 or more of us (25-30yr olds: couples & singles) planning a trip to hokkaido for skiing/snow boarding over a 2 week period around Dec 09 - Jan 10. we are beginner to intermediate levels of experience (at NZ slopes). None of us can speak japanese, but are certainly keen to learn some basics.

Other than good slopes, I guess we are looking for an area with access to restaruants and bars to keep us entertained after hours. we were hoping to stay in appartments also.

any ideas or thoughts?

cheers,

Dusty

• SnowJapan Admin

Hi Dusty and welcome.

I'm sure there will be someone giving you some thoughts and advice.

If you don't already know, there is an Accommodation section on our site - and there are apartments in there so you might want to look at those.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hotel/index.html

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hotel/niseko-hokkaido-accommodation.html

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hotel/furano-hokkaido-accommodation.html

Best of luck with the planning.

thanks.

I had a look in the accommodation section and it will definately help out when we get to the stage of fine tuning our selections.

I'm keen to get people's thoughts so i can narrow down the possibilities.

But check the exchange rate before you commit to Japan. Canada might be the go for your first overseas ski trip. We're in Hokkaido now, and not for the first time, and the prices are killing us.

thanks guys. we are weighing up whether it's cheaper to go to canada or not. unfortunately if both japan and canada are looking too pricey, we'll have to settle for a tropical holiday rather than a snow holiday.

So would Niseko be the best suited for us?

Any recommendations in Niseko?

Sorry to hijack this thread - Keba are you talking general living ie food drinks etc. OR are you including ski passes etc??

We are hoping to live quite cheaply by buying everything at the co op in Kutchan.

wave Hi Dusty, I have to agree with others as much as I love Japan maybe next year Canada might be the place to try. I would give Whistler a big miss because of the Winter Olympics, try Banff which gives you access to Lake Louise, Sunshine Village and Norquay. You can also take a trip up to Kicking Horse and Marmot. I think you will also find Canada will have a better exchange rate. I also think other resorts in Canada will be a little quieter, offering good deals as all the attention will be on Whistler.

Thanks snowhuntress.

I think once the 09/10 ski prices come out we'll get a quote for both Niseko and Canada and see where that leads us.

would love to go to Japan to see a different culture, but as everyone has said, if the exchange rate isn't half decent we won't be able to afford it.

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
Sorry to hijack this thread - Keba are you talking general living ie food drinks etc. OR are you including ski passes etc??

We are hoping to live quite cheaply by buying everything at the co op in Kutchan.

It isn't hijacking the thread, cost is critical for some people in making a decision on travel destinations. Yes general living costs and lift passes.

Camembert Cheese in Coop in Kutchan = Y600 = $10.50

Cup of flat white espresso coffee in Hirafu = Y600 (vending machine canned coffee Y120-150)

Petrol @ Y100/l = $1.75/l

Day lift ticket at Rusutsu = Y5100 = $90 (which I'd be happy to pay if there was plenty of fresh snow to ski in, and begrudgingly pay to ski in Australia)

Sure, I'm being selective, but when you're used to the pre-October '08 exchange rate, I guess what I'm saying is that it suddenly feels very expensive here. Unless something miraculous happens to the world economy and money markets, we are more likely to be in Canada next winter. Think Fernie, Big White, Silver Star, Red Mountain - agree that staying out of Whistler would be a good idea.

Thanks for the reply Keba much appreciated. smile

We leave this Sunday and of course have been slugged with the poor exchange rate. I knew we were going to find it way more expensive than last year but I think I had stuck my head in the sand a little bit. We will definitely have to limit ourselves this year and be more select when shopping and not eat out as much as we did last year.

Gareth he means Dec 2009 - Jan 2010 not 9th Dec to 10th Jan <wink>

If you are heading to Hokkaido I think your best bet for Apres is gonna be Niseko Hirafu, and I can highly recommend the self contained apartments there (well the ones we have been inside) - awesome!

Friends of ours just got back from 3 weeks at Whistler and they said their credit card was pretty melted down from expenses. Mind you ours was positively liquified in Europe ;-)

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
thats ok mamabear, my dates are still relevant! lol winter olympics are january 2010?

AND how much would I love to be there to expereince that atmosphere!! Awesome. Not gonna happen, but one can dream.

Don't fear Whistler for the 2009/2010 season. There will be little impact on the mountains during the events. Only some of the runs leading toward Creekside will be used for downhill events. Nordic ski events are outside of Whistler proper (closer to Squamish), and the snowboard events will be near Vancouver. Insofar as accomodation booking, I heard that people are so freaked out about the Olympics, thinking that it will be a bad time to visit Whistler, that everything is underbooked!