• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: SJForums
Ryoma-san works at the resort and we are in the process of asking him a few questions for a potential interview/feature with him.

friend

I thought Ryoma was a her!

I'm new to this forum, so you have to all excuse me for budding in. I have to disagree with some of Ryoma's commentary on the generational gap, or traditional technical vs freestyle, or snowboard vs ski outlook. Man, It sounds like something we used to discuss in the late 70's. Yes. sure there was a world=wide what-the-**** is that to snowboarders from skiers then but the last 8 years that's gone. Money talks and the resorts know that whether it's Japan or Europe, snowboarding is in. As for freestyle, we were on to it trying out our new Ballet ski and moguls were the norm in Japanese mainland resorts. When the runs are narrow, traffic creates moguls. My cousin was an instructor and his mantra was "Go straight down." Austrian ski method was the big thing then with the Demo (technical crowd) Stenmark was King but the American power ski was gaining popularity. Remember Steve and Phil Mahre ? There were no Curved ski but it was getting shorter. Olin was the mogul killer and kids started trampolines to prepare for aerials. That's the current getting 50 generation I'm talking about. Sure even then there were different strokes for different blokes and in fashion Demo people always wore those hats that look like flattened squid and had likings for Fischer and still rode longer ski. Freestylers wore hats with wollen ball, denims or cords with spuds. Don't even think freestyle is new! There was always rivalry. As for the Japanese liking for all thing technical, you just have to go to a bookshop to see there are heaps of " How-To" books in anything. And the grading system applies to anything you can think of. Flower arrangement, English conversation (Eiken) moterbike licencing...It part of culture, and business.

A lot of people have come back because of the curved short skis that made skiing so much easier.. Look at the number people over 40 picking it up with ease! Most of my mates stopped going gun-ho on skis and I picked up snowboarding. I like the feeling so much better than skis.

cheers

Mmm, you're mentioning things I've already discussed in previous posts. The grading and technical aspects of ski/boarding greatly appeal to the Japanese psyche which is why Demo/Technical skiing is big in Japan. I also mentioned that skiers look down on freestyle and snowboarding but I also said that this perspective is what's stifling the sport as the generational shift changes this perspective. When your senpai tells you something, there's not much you can do other than to go through with it or leave. Most Japanese will opt to shut up and follow through.

As you said, money talks but it's only the past two years that snowboarders have been given proper acknowledgement at Nozawa (and even then there are still signs around saying that boarders aren't allowed on some runs; I'm not sure if the Kandarhar rule is enforced... but the Nozawa Onsen Ski Club doesn't actually have any Snowboarders for the same reason).

I'm not quite sure what the disagreement is as we've been specifically discussing the Japanese ski culture. If you work at a ski shop it's undeniable just how much of a minority the freestyle skier is in comparison to Australia.

My point is that the generational change has already occurred in skiing. You might look at the 50 year old skiers and think they have a traditional mind set ...I'm saying bollocks to that. A 18 year old can be ultra conservative than the current 50 generation. It might be the new generation that snubs freestylers or snowboarders because some things don't change in Japan, but I doubt that . I remind you we started freestyle in Naeba in the late 70's. There were some snowboarders, there at that time. Sure there is a mindset of the Japanese that thinks jumping onto something new is shallow, But we never got that snub from locals. Not in Naeba, Niseko, Manza, to name a few. It's the country bumpkin crowd mentality of Nozawa. You should mention localism as the biggest hinderance to the sport. Happens with surfing, too. Yeah like surfing at Narrabeen or Western Australia. I only disagree to your take of what is killing freestyle ski. The SAJ, SIA badge test always had a strong following. But it is not That big. It is what the schools want to sell. There are plenty of people who just wanna go ski and onsen for fun with mates.

I am wondering if it is snowboarding. Correct me if I am wrong but the average freestyle skiing is like taking your skis to a park or thru moguls. Not everyone likes moguls. Most snowboarders don't like moguls. So, go boarding. Take it to a park, pipe. 4 edges vs 2 edges to catch and get slammed. Powder ! Which is more easier, without wearing those ridiculously wide skis? Might as get a snowboard. For the feel, and coolness factor....

wink wink nudge nudge...

my 2 cents

cheers