Kusatsu Kokusai was the target yesterday, and the weather co-operated.

It's a nearly 2 hour drive from where I live in Niigata using the Kanetsu expressway and then cutting across west, so much further than I'm used to. But I really like Kusatsu.

The ski resort itself isn't really that big - it's very long and thin and there's not much of a challange there in terms of courses. When I have been there the snow has always been really good. Yesterday it wasn't bad, but even up there at 2000+m they got rain recently and so it had taken a hit. Better than the snow lower down in Minamiuonuma anyway thats for sure.

Part of the Kusatsu experince though surely has to be the onsen hot springs and little onsen village at the base.

Some views on offer from the skijo:

Looking south towards Asama, though it's a bit out of sight:

muikabochi_1095.jpg

Looking over towards Shiga Kogen:

muikabochi_1076.jpg

I think this is Mount Naeba:

muikabochi_1073.jpg

Looking over towards Myoko:

muikabochi_1063.jpg

This is the top lift:

muikabochi_1099.jpg

muikabochi_1089.jpg

The "ropeway" which actually looks like a gondola to me, but they call it a ropeway!:

muikabochi_1085.jpg

Going down from the top of the ropeway:

muikabochi_1079.jpg

The quad taking you up to the Ropeway. You can see the Ropeway in the middle of the photo going up to the top. To the right there are a few courses and the downhill course:

muikabochi_1050.jpg

Unfortunately you can only catch a partial glimpse of Mt Asama from the top of the resort. But on the way up to Kusatsu you can get a view like this:

muikabochi_1041.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Kusatsu with my family using the ticket I won on this site. We really enjoyed it though the snow was fairly thin on the ground I thought. Pretty much agree with what muikabochi says. I took some photos and uploaded them, though they are not as good as the ones above!! Just want to say thanks for the ticket and all the great info on this site.

thumbsup