US or UK blu-ray movies on Japanese hardware?

OK I have looked online and it has only got me more confused with region codes and pal/hstcts whatever..... can anyone tell me - if I buy a blu-ray disc overseas wanting to play it on Japanese blu-ray player, should I get one from the US or the UK? Anyone any first hand?

Thanks!

Yes it does and it's different from DVD.

This time, Japan is the same code as the US, rather than the UK.

The good news is that a lot (most?) discs are region free so you can buy many regardless of the region (you can find lists fairly easily online).

Yes. Japan and US same region code. The logic being, "the powers that be" deciding these things made the countries that produce the majority of the hardware and software the same region, and everyone else another.

Originally Posted By: rach
It's still "region coded" though isn't it?

Yes.

I just thought of this too. Since a Blu-Ray player can also play your old DVD's, what you may run into if you purchase a JDM (Japan Domestic Market) one, is it will play "Japanese" and "American" Blu-Ray discs (since they are the same region code), but only play Japanese DVD's (since US DVD's are a different region code). Similar but opposite holds true if you get a USDM Blu-Ray player with Japanese DVD's. This I have empiracally proven with my USDM PlayStation 3.