Originally Posted By: Mamabear

I reckon let them do whichever they want.

Boy wants to board? - would YOU be happy on ski's?

Girl wants to ski? - she would be mad at you if you forced her to board, and a petulant 10 yr old is not fun!

Just out of interest, what does thier Mother do? Ski or Board?

We have stuck our kids in snowboard school everywhere we have been. Niseko, Thredbo, Falls Creek and they are booked into Zermatt Snowboard school. If they are doing different things then they wont be together obviously, but they will meet other kids in the group. Often the meeting place has both board and ski school starting at the same time from the same location - easy peasy.

As for packages - maybe hire his first time around in case he hates it and wants to ski again. Our kids were total beginners, so they were gonna hurt no matter what - so we made the board, binding and boot investment before they even saw the snow. They youngest boys need new gear now as they have grown, but options are there - handdown where possible and sell the smallest board and reinvest to get a larger board. At the moment the little 7 yr old boy board is just hanging on my 9yr olds wall in the board racks, wall candy at its best! Shame you do not live around the corner or I would hand it over for you to give the nipper a crack.

Mrs T boards as well. Would I be happy on skis? I don't know, I've never tried (apart from dry slope lessons when I was 5 - I didn't like it) and that's my point, you can't make a judgement until you're tried both. I'll see what lessons the local ski resorts offer (this is in Akita) and probably take it from there. I don't want to force my kids into anything but sometimes a dictotorial push can be of benefit, along with some bribes.

Agreed...good luck MrT.

It is interesting that MrsT boards but yet your daughter wants to ski, if MrsT skied I would totally get it, not that there is anything wrong with skiing at all. Although my main reason to NOT ski now is that I like not falling on my butt all the time and would be hesitant to go back to the beginning again. Maybe your daughter is just being savvy about how many bruises she wants wink

Hmm.....Akita....no idea, sorry. As a parent - yep! Go with whatever has a 'school'!! thumbsup lol

There will be buses from Hirafu to Hanazono. Can't find info at the moment.

Will take about 15 mins

I would say yes at this stage.

Will let you know more when I get a chance to ride the carpet and ski the slopes.