I just checked out Arai's website, and I don't see any info on there about the cheapo accomodation down the road. But I would suggest that for the poorer guests, being a drive, however short, from the resort in the morning and the nice plaza in the evening, isn't going to be very welcoming.

I haven't yet been to Arai, so I'm just surmising from the available info (as you do...)

Good point O11 - if Arai cares about the cheapskates who need the cheaper accommodation.....why not introduce it on the website? You did say you would........

Quote:
Yes. ARAI can best look after the needs of this segment by continuing to:

----Provide you with up to date and relevant information in English via our website;

Having only ventured to Arai once last season I was a little disappointed. Like Fattwins said, for 5000 you want value for money and I wouldn't call Arai value. Having recently read the article about the reducing numbers in the Yuzawa region, I think it's important to accomodate those who want to use the facilities. It is after all a mere exercise in management..people will rather spend their money, be it 500 or 700 less at other resorts because everyone is suffering from the effects of the Japanese economy. It's the law of demand- As the price goes up, the demand goes down. This issue needs to be addressed fisrt and foremost to get people back on the slopes, not only by Arai but by all resorts in Japan.

Hello

Good to hear from you all. I have been away writing my lines as assigned by that naughty and cheeky HoTRoD:

Arai Arai Arai.........

Seriously, lots of great questions and points. Going through the thread:

mikazooki

best of luck passing for an elementary school pupil.

grungy-gonads

Though I can't see the price of the early bird coming down, there is nothing stopping you from being first on the lifts at 8:30. While it is not exactly the same, the snow is still "sweet" at that time.

jared

I agree with you but in my biased mind, while the early bird does generate a revenue stream, the quantity is not enough to generate a profit.

Pierluigi

People that know about the early bird do use it, however some guests are put off by the prices. I think that more guests would use it if they knew about it at an earlier stage of their visit.

Fattwins

You will be pleased to know that ARAI will feature a Terrain Park from this coming season.

oblivion

ARAI really has not done enough to market "Nighta". Any suggestions from forum members would be greatly appreciated.

TheOrange

February is always sweet for "Nighta". January and March can be "sweet" depending on the snow conditions of that particular season. If your question is really, "I'd like to check "Nighta" out but will only part with my cash if conditions are sweet", then my advice is to follow the daily weather reports for ARAI during the season.

brit-gob

The deadline for the early-bird is 5 PM the previous day. At that time, based on weather forecasts etc., a decision will be made to go ahead or cancel the outing for the next morning.

Ice-Machine

Yes - you are welcome to come to ARAI

rach

I teach intensive English classes to the staff at ARAI so there are some days I don't make it to my computer.

Ocean11

ARAI was made to introduce the concept of North American and European resorts to Japan first and foremost.

I'd really appreciate hearing from some Forum members concerning what skiing used to be like in this country 20 or 30 years ago.

Would you agree that there is a gap between the level of ski resorts in Japan versus those in North America and Europe? Arai was built to address that gap.

Ocean 11, please visit ARAI to see with your own eyes what I'm talking about.

Fattwins

ARAI really caters to Kids, especially young ones, who love the place. I agree that it is the next generation that will keep a resort viable over the long run.

ARAI does not charge 5,000 yen for a lift ticket. This season during "prime time", day trippers will be charged 4,500 for a lift/Gondola ticket.

gurningBob

The castle in the logo represents a medieval European castle. The village was designed by an Italian that was asked to transplant the layout of a typical medieval European Village to ARAI.

"intensive English" classes - that does sound intense \:\) I hope you try to make it fun!

What about grungy-gonads 2nd comment there, Blair....that was a good one I was looking forward to your response on that! ;\)

Hello

rach - ARAI presently provides a great deal of info. on the site concerning how to do ARAI on a shoestring. It was one item that I made sure was incorporated into the design of the site.

Concerning budget accommodation, while ARAI can continue to indirectly provide information via the telephone for example, several questions quickly arise if such information is provided via more formal means such as on the official website.

In my mind, it is a matter of pointing the person in the right direction, which the site presently does and will continue to do, with that person then following up on their actual arrangements for themselves.

bong - the concept of ARAI as I understand it is to make "resort life" both on and off the slopes at ARAI as seamles as possible.

When I was growing up in Canada, I remember the challenges involved with first getting to the slopes, and then getting on to them. At the end of the day, the process would be repeated in reverse, leading all concerned to be very tired by the end of it.

At ARAI, it is possible to be on a lift going up the slopes within five minutes of leaving your hotel room in the morning, and be in a hot shower or into the Japanese baths within the same amount of time after coming off the slopes at the end of the day.

Such a set-up leaves energy for enjoying "resort life" that would otherwise be expended in travelling to/from the slopes.

Quote:
rach - ARAI presently provides a great deal of info. on the site concerning how to do ARAI on a shoestring. It was one item that I made sure was incorporated into the design of the site......
Hmmm.

Well thats not much help is it, when you said that the web was one of the ways you will communicate with us budgeters. What questions arise then?

I couldn't find any info at all about saving money.

I'm not trying to catch you out here - just want the info as do many people.

Thanks

I was just looking at the Porsche site. I was very surprised to find that nowhere on their site did they recommend a good cheap Suzuki for those on a budget who still want to get a car. I wrote them a letter and asked why not and they gave me a few reasons.

1 - It makes no sense to do so.

2 - If they started recommending other car manufactures on their site and I was unhappy with the car I got from them then it would be Porsche’s fault / responsibility.

3 - if they are seen to be recommending one car manufacturer over others people will begin to wonder what relationship exists between the two companies.

I told them that this was not good enough and got a Toyota instead.

Sorry I’m a dick I just can’t help it.

\:D

\yeah I know I left myself open for that one. That of course makes sense. Its just that Blair mentioned that Arai was doing everything it could via the website to tell people about how to enjoy the resort - which is not ONLY the hotels - on a budget. Thats all. Anyway, I'll just slide away quietly now ;\)

cool.gif

I can see where you are comming from though, if they can get the budgos to come and stay somewhere cheap, but still buy a lift ticket, at least Arai gain something. That surely is better than nothing for Arai.

I guess they just have to find a happy medium between making us aware that there is cheaper accomidation but not actually encouraging us to use it over their hotels.

Quote:
Originally posted by Blair:
At ARAI, it is possible to be on a lift going up the slopes within five minutes of leaving your hotel room in the morning, and be in a hot shower or into the Japanese baths within the same amount of time after coming off the slopes at the end of the day.

It is expensive to get this benefit, but I certainly noted it and liked it when I was there. Having said this, I am sure it is available at other resorts in Japan...one just needs to find them (helps to speak J). Cortina comes to mind as a place that is a prime set up in this regard.

One thing I will give aRaI the thumbs up for is letting you wear your boarding boots right into your room.

Blair is quite correct: off the slope, walk the plaza, grab a beer, elevator to your room, take off your boots, have a private shower or bath (or as I often do, fall asleep on the bed half way through the beer with boots still on).

If Arai could get some real nightlife action happening it would be an improvement. Great plaza, but a ghost town at night.
  • 2 weeks later...