Getting stuff out of your head

Anyone know a good way to erase things from your memory that you want to "unknow". You know, like overhearing something you didn't want to hear, learning some detail about an illness you just didn't want to know about (family related), seeing something that you'd just prefer not to know.

The lack of a delete function in humans is definitely a design fault.

Yes...often wanted to metaphorically scrub out the brain from knowledge unwanted.

My brother - bless him - all 38yrs old of him - STILL sticks his fingers in his ears and chants LALALALALALALA with his eyes closed.

Sorry you have got some unwanted knowledge Scouser - just got some of that myself today....young friend with a health crisis....would love to erase that one.

Maybe beers are the truth the light and the way! cheers

Thanks.

I've thought it before, but it was brought home when I had a really long chat with a friend over the weekend. His wife has just found out she has a form of skin cancer. Right now, they are being very optimistic about it and the prognosis is very good, but it is of course a big jolt to hear something like that. He said that he asked the doctor whether to look on the web and read up on things and the doctors response was basically "no".... while there is a lot of correct information there is a lot more incorrect information and also of course with something like this every case is different. My friend said that before that he had looked at some info and read a few things that he wishes he could not delete from his head, but he can't they're in there stewing now ready to come back at any time.

:(

Sorry to hear about that. sadface

It would be good to be able to erase, but it seems that we forget the things we really want to remember, and remember all the bad or traumatic stuff. I guess that's how the brain works - probably a survival mechanism from the caveman days: "Mushroom give Krag diarrhea" = remember. "Big animal gnaw on Krag's leg" = remember. "Girl from next cave over really good looking, her name Tunda" = forget.

Considering the amount of things one has to remember in modern society, it would be great to be able to select what stuff gets overwritten in memory!

Now what was my e-mail account password?

So true...

Wishing your friend all the best Scouser...the bizarre thing is that it is a Scouser friend of mine who got simialr bad news about her Geordie husband that has me in a tizz this week...freaky. (and she has also been trolling the internet and filling her head with doom and gloom before a proper diagnosis. Dangerous thing those internets - they catch you in thier evil web!

Sorry to hear that.

Tell her to get offline! Not saying that "the internet is bad" thing, but things like this really are case by case and its so easy to find and fill your head with nonsense.

I can only imagine what getting that kind of news feels like. The world and priorities must suddenly change in an instant. That argument about leaving the door open might not seem such a good idea after all....

My friend living in Japan heard that her mother had died suddenly a few months ago. As you can imagine she was distraught. Went back home as soon as she could but she while she is generally getting on with things now it has seriously affected her. I think not being able to spend that much time with family really upset her, and I can quite understand that.

:(