Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
off topic a bit, but I saw some wax made from 豆 at Murasaki sports over the weekend...supposed to be environmental friendly smile Anybody ever use it before?

Yeah, some companies are making it now. One ball Jay, Bluebird, and others. Although, i hear they are made from GMO soy, so its not really 'environmental'. It also depends on the chemicals they put in it.

I use one called Hillbilly, out of Canada, and its 100% biodegradable and safe. No toxins. And it works fine. i don7t know if i would race on it, but my board goes just fine.
Originally Posted By: Gary
You take a belt sander to the bottom of your skis?! Ive not heard of that before!
I do a hot wax, scrape and wipe with the green pan cleaner thing. I find when I do this, its like attatching rockets to the back of my skis! Acceleration due to gravity is the same regardless of your weight, and if you are heavier, there will be more friction so you will accelerate more slowly - a good wax will help reduce friction. However, once up to speed, you will have more inertia than a lighter person, which should help power you over any flat spots!

Yep a belt sander with a fine grit paper, lightly run it over the skis to clean them up, usually just do this at the start of the season to take off any corrosion, and that's about it.

Apart from Gary does anyone else wax their skis? I may try slapping some wax on my skis and see what difference it makes, but I tend to go fast enough anyway without, but I am only at the intermediate level I guess so probably they are fast enough for me??? maybe!

I've ordered & paid for it but it hasn't arrived yet.

hmmm, good question though xilr8. according to the adspeak you don't need to wax....but it probably means you don't need to was (as much).

Does the base feel slippery? I'm going to post a thread on the Burton forums to see what to do

Thanks Kuma, saw that thread over there. I wouldn't say it "feels" slippier than the regular sintered WFO base, but we're talking about the properties of the actual base compound versus water, so who knows. Anyway, it can't hurt to wax it!

Oh, one quick update about scraping,

I got up to Hakuba on Monday, and didn't have time to scrape the end-of-season wax i put on to keep my base from drying out over the summer.

I seriously spent about only 30 seconds scraping the rougher bits, and the board took faster Micheal Jackson at a shogakko sports festival

How a board is waxed is primarly up to the end user. For my all-around board (where I dont use it in the park usually) I will spend more time on the waxing efforts. Do a full wax after 1-2 days of riding. scraped clean and scotchbrite. I use the same scotchbrite as it builds up with wax and moves around the boards wax to give it a nice finish. Total time 20-30min.

For the park board, A quick hot-wax and quick scrape finalized with a very quick buff from the scotchbrite. I leave a bit more wax on the base to protect on the boxes and rails.

Unless your a pro rider looking to race, which is not usually the norm for most of us here on the fourms then a pristine wax job is not completely necessary. Its going to wear of in a short time and then the cycle needs to be repeated.

From the pics, as long as there are not gobs of wax on it, give it a quick buff and you all good.