The US election - who are the racists?

About 45% of white people voted for McCain.

About 95% of black people voted for Obama.

I found those numbers to be very interesting. While I personally think that Obama was by far the better choice, you would surely think that many of those black people voted for him because he is (half) black rather than because they thought he was the most qualified? Surely that would make them racist? It just goes to show what an interesting and complex concept 'racism' is.

confused

It is interesting. Maybe it's racism, but here are a few points:

-Blacks tend to vote democrat anyway (though probably not 95%)

-Many Afro-Americans feel that he understands their plight and discrimination because he has felt the same thing - because he's black. If I was a black American, I'd probably feel good about having a black president because he understands my situation. But if I was a white American, I really can't imagine having much in common with some other white guy like McCain just because he's white. A black president is a great symbol of equality for an oppressed people. I'm surprised that 5% voted against him.

Were there any other options than Rep/Dem? No minority parties? I followed the election, but only ever heard about these two parties - who always battle it out. But I am listening from half way around the world...

The 5% could have been made up of informal votes - although as voting in the USA is voluntary I would assume the rates of informal votes would be lower than they are in Australia.

I am not surprised by the racial distribution of votes. I don't know if it is racist, but rather a reaction to dicriminatory racism and it's impacts. Will we suddenly see white folks being made to sit at the back of the bus - I doubt it... But I would expect a bit of showboating from those that have been the underdogs for so long, for a little while.

RagDoll mentioned this in the Obama vs McCain thread.

Quote:
Anyone know the Dem/Rep split amongst persons who identify themselves as "black" from the 2004 elections?

Ezorisu, if I recall correctly something I read about this a few months ago, it was about D 65% / R 35%. That may need to be corrected.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
But I would expect a bit of showboating from those that have been the underdogs for so long, for a little while.

'Showboating'? No, I don't think that's what it's about. I think the Obama victory brings people together (except for fringe groups like religious nuts)

exit-poll-us.jpg

There is one statistic there that really stands out wink

To be honest I do think this is racism involved in this statistic, however I think it will level out over time. America is changing and race will become less and less of an issue, to the point that eventually the blacks will also start to vote in a non-partisan way.

Would love to see an avowed atheist make a run for the white house. There would be tumble weeds rolling through the rallies!

Ger - you make an interesting point about people feeling a connection with the candidate. Everybody would agree that women are under represented in government, but women themselves tend not to vote for women, go figure.

Humans are strange animals.

Women can tend to be womens worst enemy.

We were discussing that over a few champers last night!

Where women should be standing by thier counterparts, supportive and empowering - they can be stabbing them in the back - being competitive and bitchy...really bizarre!

Originally Posted By: fukdane
Ezorisu, if I recall correctly something I read about this a few months ago, it was about D 65% / R 35%. That may need to be corrected.

Assuming that is correct, then 30% of black Republicans voted for Obama, leaving the 5% in the lurch. Who knows if it was "racially motivated" though - they could have been just fed up with the direction the Republican establishment has been steering the country under recent administrations.

The black community obviously voted on racial grounds, and frankly who can blame them? I don't consider it a bad thing myself. If an evangelical Christian had made it through I'm sure we would have seen 100% of that community voting for them (thank christ that didn't actually happen!).

One never sees the actual percentage of the TOTAL electorally qualified population who cast their vote. All of the stats seem to look at the percentage of voters who went one way or the other.

What I'd like to see is the percentage of the total electorate who vited for one or the other, and by definition, then, the percentage who didn't care enough to get off their asses and vote either way.

But does the official population stats include children? Children can't vote. What is the voting age in the US? Here it is 18, but 18 is also the drinking age - and age of majority for other purposes.