Hey guys, I'm heading out to Tokyo on nov 15th and i have nine days to chillout look around and sight-see beofre i have to report in for work in niseko.

so what hould i see/visit, where shouled i avoid etc.

Whats the best way to get from tokyo to hokkaido, plane train ferry?

Thoughts please,

Junior.

Where to start??

Somewhat depends on your interests, but I'd suggest a look around the Ginza (if you're into entertainment stuff) or a wander throughthe Hama Rikyu (if you're into gardens). Akihabara (for electronic stuff - or just a wander) would be a must!

Then there are heaps and heaps of historic buildings, all over Tokyo. Asakusa has some interesting stuff like Senso-ji temple, Kappabashi Dori - kitchenware town (where they make those plastic 'food' samples that are on display in restaurant windows).

With 9 days, you could easily fit in a trip to Miyajima, Hiroshima and back. (We'll be doing that in January, would appreciate an update if you manage to do the trip.) Or you could wander up the East coast to Hokkaido, mooch around Sapporo for a bit, have a look at Otaru, Asahikawa etc. You should be able to get time off during the season to look around Niseko and places closer, so I'd be pushing for the further distant places (but that's just me!).

Plane. And quickest.

The usual suspects, if you get a Tokyo guide you'll hit the right main places.

Don't be fooled by Japanese telling you Odaiba is ace though - it's just a big shopping place. Avoid

I agree with JA on Akihabara - we surprised ourselves and bought a few things - not a lot - but really we went just to see the immenseness of the electronics district.

We liked Ginza a lot, but Papabear is a bit of a keen high end shopper....

You gotta hit Harajuku on a Sunday (although we went on a weekday and still got an eyeful of some serious Cosplayers!) just for the spectacle. Having young teens and preteens my kids were in 'freaky trash funky" heaven in Harajuku so we had to go back twice.

JA - we wanted to include Hiroshima when we went last time, but time was just too tight and we were travelling with others - next visit with the kids it will be a must. Reckon you can give me a quick synopsis of MUST see and try to avoid with kids when you get back? Ta!

I strongly recommend you dont spend all your 9 days in Tokyo. Thatd be a huge waste IMO. But everybody on here knows how much I hate big cities razz

Western Japan:

Kyoto

Nara

Kobe

Hiroshima

If you have time check out:

Shinshu Region (Nagano)

Tohoku Region

Or spend a few days in Sapporo as well before you hit Niseko.

Actually, if it was me, Id spent a few days in Tokyo buying stuff I need, then work my way up the Sea of Japan side through Tohoku to Aomori, catch a ferry across, and go up from Hakodate to Niseko by local train.

You can get ferries to Otaru, right?

Kamakura can be done in 1 day, sure there are plenty of small temples to stumble upon but you'd need to be a temple otaku for that. Shibuya at night time is a spectacle, all those people, neon etc. Tokyo tower is cool to get a vista of Tokyo, Odaiba is just 3 big shopping malls, Kabuki-cho at night can be eventful. Harajuku/Yoyogi on a Sunday is a must, wander round the park and streets of Harajuku, beer in hand watching all the people wander round in weird gear, Meiji-jingu is there too and its cool.

Cheers for the ideas folkes. Budget is important, but the the most important factor. If something is amazing but pricey i'll go catch a look.

The boat over from the north of honshu to hakodate sounds like a good compromise of price and practicality.

I'm leaning toward spending a few days in Tokyo, spending a few days in Sapporo, and spending the rest of the time getting fromm Tokyo to Sapporo.

What you reckon peeps?

How about spending a few days in Tokyo, get a 7-day rail pass, then slowly work your way up to Sapporo? Maybe stop in Utsunomiya/Nikko, Sendai, Aomori, & Hakodate. You can probably find some cheap accomodations around the train station and spend half a day looking around before setting off for the next stop.

What do you wanna do in Tokyo NIwoooooooo, sightseeing or partying?

As much as CB says he hates big cities, he is up in Tokyo partying every once in a wile. I think he is in love with me. wink razz

If you dont get seasick you can get a ferry from Ibaragi (close to Narita airport) to Komakanai in Hokkaido (southern of Shinchitose airport). Its is dirt cheap, but I don't know how you can get to the port if you don't have a car. There are trains but, you will need to transfer at least 2 times.

If you get a JR pass, you can work your way up to Hokkaido as Ezo says hitting all the major Tohoku resorts on your way. Thats a trip worth doing for sure.